5-Way Cincinnati Chili w/Sweet Onions

5-Way Cincinnati Chili w/Sweet Onions

3 Sweet onions, chopped
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp chopped garlic
2 lbs ground beef
1 large (12 oz) can tomato paste
Spice sachet (4 whole dried chiles, 1 tablespoon whole allspice berries, and 5 bay leaves tied in a cheesecloth bag with kitchen string)
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp mild chile powder
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp hot sauce
2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound fusilli (or spaghetti)

Garnishes:

1 (15-ounce) can dark red kidney beans (do not rinse)
1/2 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded, for serving
1 Sweet onion, diced, for serving

1. In a large Dutch oven, cook the onions in the oil over medium heat until lightly browned. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the beef and cook until the meat is browned. Dilute the tomato paste in 2 cups water. Add the spice sachet, vinegar, diluted tomato paste, chile powder, cinnamon, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauces, season to taste with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally (or bake at 300°, covered). Remove and discard the spice sachet. Taste for seasoning and keep hot.

2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the fusilli (spaghetti) and cook for 9 minutes, or until firm and bouncy but cooked through. Drain well and transfer to a large serving bowl.

3. In a small pot, bring the beans and their canning liquid to the boil. Ladle the chili over the pasta, and then spoon the reserved beans over top. Sprinkle with the cheese and diced raw onion and serve immediately.

This recipe is absolutely fantastic !!!

I grew up back east, and I had this chili alot. Since then, I have tried to find a recipe for it, but never did, until I logged onto this site.

Just like you said, 3-way, or 4-way, even on hot dogs with cheese, this chili is great !!!

Mhaney2513,

It is definitely chili weather (wet, cold & gusty winds) here in Mississippi. Hope you enjoy the chili no matter where you are. And you’re right, it is great on a hot dog with cheese. (Or on anything else for that matter).

Welcome to this recipe exchange. You will find many helpful and friendly knowledgeable folks who love to share recipes, tips and helpful info almost as much as they love to cook (LOL). Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Pat