2 eggs
pinch of salt
1/2 c. cooked raisins (chopped)
1/3 c. preserved strawberries
1/2 c. maraschino cherries (chopped)
1/2 c. English walnuts (chopped)
1 c. XX cream
2 Tbsp sherry wine flavor

Mix sugar and cornstarch and add scalded milk slowly, stirring constantly. Cook for 25 minutes in double boiler, add well beaten egg yolks and cook again for 5 minutes, continuing to stir. Remove from fire and when partly cooled, fold in stiffly beaten egg whites to which salt has been added. Pour into mixing bowl and place in Frigidaire to chill. Cut up one half cup of cooked, seeded raisins in halves. Select whole berries from preserves and chop in uniform size. Cut maraschino cherries in eighths. Chop English walnuts. Mix chopped fruits and place in Frigidaire to chill while nuts are being chopped. Whip cream and place in Frigidaire to keep cool.

Add fruits and custard, then add nuts. Add sherry wine flavor, then fold in whipped cream. Pour into tray to freeze. When partly frozen, remove tray and agitate mixture by stirring from front to back of tray. This will prevent fruit and nuts from settling. Return to Frigidaire and allow to finish freezing without further agitating.

Stonewall Jackson Pudding
2 c milk
2 egg yolks
1/2 c sugar
2 tbsp Knox gelatin softened in 1/4 c cold milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 c Sherry wine
2 egg whites
1/2 pint cream, whipped

In a double boiler, heat the milk to nearly boiling. Whip the yolks until very light in color then beat them into the sugar. Add the egg mixture to the hot milk, and stir constantly until it begins to thicken. Remove from fire. Add the gelatin mixture , stir well. Add Sherry, vanilla, combine. Let cool. Beat egg whites to stiff peaks, and fold into whipped cream. When custard is cool and begins to set up, fold in whipped cream mixture. Pour into a mold, alternating layers of custard with broken macaroons and crystallized cherries.

Jeff Davis Muffins
2 eggs, separated
1 c sour milk
1 c meal
1/2 c flour (most of the flour down south was winter wheat in those days, and thus they probably used biscuit flour, which has less gluten than all purpose)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp lard

Mix egg yolks with salt, melted and cooled to room temp lard, meal, flour, and baking powder. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks, add to the rest of ingredients. Bake in a “moderate” oven.

Jeff Davis Custard
4 eggs, separated and beaten until fluffy (separately)
1 cup cream
2 tbsp butter
2 c sugar
Flavor as desired.

Flavor to taste. Pour on to “thin, rich crusts”

Mason and Dixon Cookies
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c melted shortening
1 egg
1/2 c sweet milk (buttermilk)
1/2 tsp baking soda, sifted into
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 c chopped raisins
1/2 c chopped nuts
1/2 tsp salt
3 squares melted chocolate

Mix in order and bake in moderate oven. (I’m assuming you drop them onto a greased cookie sheet by the teaspoonful… but that’s all she wrote!)

John Brown Custard
1 quart milk
4 eggs
1/2 c sugar

Beat the eggs and sugar carefully together while milk is scalding. Then add gradually scalded milk to eggs, then return whole mixture to stove, stirring constantly until thickened. When cool, flavor as desired.

General Pickett Corn Pudding
1 pint fresh corn, or 1 can corn
2 eggs
1 cup sweet milk (aka. buttermilk)
1 c sugar
lump of butter the size of an egg
salt
1 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp baking powder

Separate eggs, reserve whites. Mix remaining ingredients and pour into baking dish. Bake in hot oven (no time designated?) when cool, beat egg whites to soft peaks, sweeten and flavor. Spread over corn pudding and bake to delicate brown.

Mock Turtle Eggs

Mash the yolks of hard boiled hen’s eggs with a little butter. Add a beaten raw egg, and you have a material which as clever cook you sculpt to the shape of turtle eggs. Drop them for a brief 2 minutes into boiling water. Not even a turtle could distinguish them from her own bona fide eggs. A little cayenne pepper is a happy thought mixed with them.
After they are shaped, they may be rolled in flour and sautéed in butter instead of being dropped in boiling water.

Hey Kitchen Witch… I don’t know if I would be brave enough to attempt these recipes but I love the way they explained how to prepare all of them. I always look forward to reading your posts. Keep-em coming!!! I wish I would have been able to get my hands on my grandmothers old recipes. I think it is wonderful that you don’t mind sharing your family recipes. Thanks again, cindpach

and you are very welcomed!

And of course, I will be posting more!

Kitchen Witch