Using lean top round, plain low-fat yogurt, and very little added salt makes this a heart-healthy dish.
1 lb lean beef (top round)
2 tsp vegetable oil
3/4 Tbsp finely chopped onion
1 lb sliced mushrooms
1/4 tsp salt
to taste pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 C white wine
1 C plain low-fat yogurt
6 C cooked macaroni, cooked in unsalted water
- Cut beef into 1-inch cubes. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a non-stick skillet. SautÃ© onion for 2 minutes.
- Add beef and saute for additional 5 minutes. Turn to brown evenly. Remove from pan and keep hot.
- Add remaining oil to pan; saute mushrooms.
- Add beef and onions to pan with seasonings.
- Add wine, yogurt; gently stir in. Heat, but do not boil.
- Serve with macaroni.
Note: If thickening is desired, use 2 teaspoons cornstarch; calories are the same as flour, but it has double thickening power. These calories are not figured into the nutrients per serving.
Yield: 5 servings–Serving Size: 6 oz
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 10 g
Saturated fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 79 mg
Sodium: 200 mg