Cold Vegetables with Mustard Vinaigrette
(Makes 8 servings)
4 medium zucchini, cut into thin julienne
4 yellow squash, cut into thin julienne
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin julienne
1 1/4 pounds (600 g) fresh green beans, tipped and ends snapped
1 1/2 pounds (720 g) small new red potatoes or creamers
2 scallions, minced, white part only
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons (30 ml) Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons (45 ml) boiling water
3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
juice of one lemon
2 tablespoons (30 ml) basil, chopped
freshly ground pepper
- Blanch the zucchini, squash, and red pepper for 2 minutes, until crisp-cooked. Refresh under cold water and dry on paper towels. Refrigerate.
- Cook the beans until crisp cooked in salted simmering water for 4 -5 minutes. Refresh under cold water, dry on paper towel and refrigerate.
- Boil the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water until cooked, about 8-10 minutes depending on size. Refresh under cold water and refrigerate until ready to make salad.
- To make the vinaigrette: Place the scallions. garlic, and mustard in a small bowl. Whisk in the boiling water slowly . Add the olive oil, lemon juice, basil and pepper.
- To serve: Toss the julienne vegetables with 3 tablespoons of vinaigrette. Place in the center of a platter. Place the potatoes and green beans around them and drizzle with the remainder of the dressing.
Per serving: 176 calories (28% calories from fat), 6 g protein, 6 g total fat (0.8 g saturated fat), 29 g carbohydrates, 7 g dietary fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 109 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 3 vegetable), 1 fat