Decadent Delights for Valentines Day

Dear Friends I got this info. from the Rural Missouri Paper, a local paper here in Knob Noster; thought you might enjoy this Valentine background by Heather Berry.

Baking lore has it that sometime back in the 1920’s, the first brownies ever eaten were actually chocolate cake that fell druing the baking. Some enterprising chef had the sense to cut his mistake into squares and serve it anyway. And the rest is delicious history.
Whatever their orgin, those of us who love brownies are indebted to the genius who discovered the dessert- as well as the dozens of variations that the original recipe inspired through the years.
Classic brownies are usually dense fudge-like creations that can be served with or without frosting. Be bold and try making your favorite chocolate or golden brownie batter and adding your favoriet goodies to the mix – butterscoth chips, coconut, heath chips or caramel. The recipes you’ll come up with are endless.

This is the one I chose to share with you’all.

Buttermilk Brownies

2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 t salt
1 c butter
1 c water
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 eggs
1/2 c. buttermilk
1-1/2 t. vanilla
3 T. cocoa pwdr.
3 T. buttermilk
2-1/4 c. sifted pwdered sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
3/4 c. chopped pecans

Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan; set aside. In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside

In a medium saucepan combine 1 c. butter, water, and 1/3 c. cocoa. Bring mixture just to boiling, stirring constantly. remove from heat. Add the chocolate mixture to the flour mixture; beat with mixer on medium speed until combined. Add egges 1/2 c. buttermilk and 1-1/2 t. vanilla. Beat for 1 min. Batter will be thin. Pour batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.

Bake brownies at 350 degrees for 35 min.

Frosting; In a saucepan combine 1/4 c. butter, 3 T. unsweetened cocoa, and 3 T buttermilk. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Add powdered sugar and 1/2 t. vanilla.

Beat until smooth. If desired, stir in pecans. Pour warm frosting over the warm brownies. Cool, cut and serve!
Have a Decadent Valentines Day.

Dainty Dish

DD,
Brownies are my absolute favorite. They are also my downfall. I can resist almost any dessert except them. Thanks for the recipe, will add to my recipe collection under “try when the diet is over or having a really bad hair day”. No one should ever “need” a reason to have chocolate, it should just be there!!!
Pat