Eggplant with Yogurt Sauce
(makes 4 servings)
2 medium size eggplants, about 3/4 pounds (360 g) each
canola oil cooking spray
1 teaspoon (5 ml) low fat margarine
2 medium onions 1/2 pounds (240 g), chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon (15 ml) grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground turmeric
1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon (.6ml) crushed dried red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sugar substitute
1/4 cup (60 ml) water
1 cup (228 g) low fat plain yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 500Â°F, Gas Mark 9.
- Bake the eggplants on a cooking sheet for 12 minutes until the skin turns black turning once. Remove and allow to cool. Remove the stalk and skin and chop fine. set aside.
- Lightly coat a covered nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add the margarine and chopped onions; cook, stirring every so often until the onions begin to change color. Add the garlic and ginger and stir well to combine. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, coriander, red pepper flakes, salt, sugar substitute, and water. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the finely chopped eggplant. Cover the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir in the yogurt a little at a time. Reheat, but do not bring to a boil. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 107 calories (14% calories from fat), 5 g protein, 2 g total fat (0.7 g saturated fat), 19 g carbohydrate, 5 g dietary fiber, 4 mg cholesterol, 74 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1 1/2 carbohydrate (1/2 milk, 3 vegetable)