Friday Dinner

BAKED HADDOCK AND JO-JO’S

JO-JO’S:

Scrub potatoes; leaving skins on - cut in half and then into wedges. Sprinkle with olive oil and toss to coat lightly. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, parsely and garlic. Place on baking sheet and place in 375* F. oven until done. A few minutes before potatoes are done, sprinkle potato wedges with shredded cheese(s) - extra sharp cheddar, monterey jack, etc. My preference is extra sharp white and yellow cheddar.

BAKED HADDOCK:

Rinse and pat dry haddock fillets. Beat eggs (or egg whites); set aside. In a separate dish (for coating fish) combine dry bread crumbs, pepper, salt, parsley, garlic and cayenne; combine. If preferred, use cracker crumbs. Dip haddock in egg, then coat with breading.

Place on sprayed baking sheet, cook time will depend on the size of the haddock. Bake 5 minutes; turn and bake an additional 3 to 5 minutes.

Homemade Tartar Sauce

Lots of chopping and mincing but, like everything else, the extra effort called for in anything homemade produces a far finer result.

1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
2 tablespoon minced white onion
1 tablespoon minced kosher dill pickle
2 tablespoons minced sweet pickle
1 tablespoon minced celery
2 teaspoons minced pimiento
dash of Tabasco sauce
1 t White vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoons Dijon mustard

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Chill for several hours before serving. Makes about 1-3/4 cups.

STUFFED EGGS

My dad loved stuffed eggs done this way:

Hard cooked eggs, halved; yolks removed.
Combine yolks, miracle whip, small squeeze of prepared mustard, minced sweet pickle, chipped carrot.
Stuff egg halves; sprinkle with paprika and top with halved stuffed green olives.

SANDWICH MAKER CAKETTES

Since I have a sandwich maker that doesn’t get used for sandwiches (too hooked on using George Forman for panini!!) I have found other uses for it and one of these uses is baking little triangular shaped “cakettes”! If you want to use a cake mix - feel free. Drizzle with icing, or dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.

Half the batter will be used as is - and I add a handful of chopped walnuts to the remaining batter for a nice change.

CHOCOLATE “CAKETTES”

1 c. flour
1/3 c. cocoa
1 t. baking soda
¾ t. baking powder
¼ t. salt
2 T. unsalted butter, room temp
1/3 c. sugar
1 large egg
2 t. vanilla extract
1 c. buttermilk

Whisk dry ingredients; in separate bowl, cream butter and sugar; add egg and vanilla. Alternately add dry ingredients and buttermilk; beat until smooth.

Be sure to spray sandwich maker before filling each time. Fill sandwich maker wells and bake until done.

Confectioners’ sugar is in a small shaker if anyone wants to sprinkle some on before eating.

Enjoy with a hot cup of tea!

Just got a call - no school today which means my grandbabies (remember - I am an “adopted” gramma! and I love it!!) are coming to dinner so when they get here we will make cookies!!! But first I need to get to the market to get more haddock!!!

We will have fun today making:

Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Yield:  36 Cookies

2 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup light or dark corn syrup
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks
1 cup chopped pecans

In bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt. In mixing bowl with mixer at medium speed beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Gradually beat in corn syrup. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chunks and pecans.
Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.
Bake in 350°F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.

1-2-3 Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg

Combine the peanut butter, brown sugar and egg. Mix until smooth. Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 6-8 minutes. Do not overbake! These cookies are best when they are still soft and just barely brown on the bottom.

and of course - I have to make one of their mother’s favorites too!!!

ORIGINAL GIRL SCOUT COOKIES

1 cup butter, or substitute
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons of milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder

Cream butter and sugar together, add well beaten eggs, then milk, flavoring, flour and baking powder. Roll thin and bake in quick oven. Sprinkle sugar on top.

I already know which cookie cutters to get out - handprint, dinosaurs, horse and cars! Sorry Girl Scouts - that’s what my babies want!!

And it looks like a tuna-noodle casserole will also be good today!!!

Boiled egg noodles, cream of mushroom soup, peas - place in buttered casserole, topped with plain dry bread crumbs and dotted with butter; baked until crumbs are golden!

And jello with fruit - have to remember to buy a can of whipped cream to hold the candy sprinkles on top!!! LOL