Green Chili anyone?

Love Mexican Food but don’t see many such recipies, Would very much like to see Green Chili as an Ingredient of the day, particularly interested in a Green Chili Sauce for smothered burritos…
Love this recipie site, absolutely the only place to go … TY… Cowgirl

Thanks for your kind words Cowgirl.

I think that’s a good suggestion. I’ll mention it to the moderator for that topic.

Best Regards,

Ron

I’m sure others too would appreciate the Flavors of Mexico, if not now, all they have to do is give it a try…esp. so with Smothered Green Burrito… a sauce that goes well with a tossed salad, eggs, spices up just about anything…TY …Cowgirl

Game Hens in Salsa Verde

10 Garlic Cloves, chopped
1 Lime, juiced
1 bunch Cilantro, finely chopped
½ Fresh green chili, seeded and chopped
1 t. Cumin
4 Game hens
1 ½ C Crème fraîche (fresh cream)
1 Red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, and seeded & diced
¼ - 1 t. Sauce from can of Chipotle in adobo, or Chipotle salsa
3-5 Scallions, thinly sliced
Handful Toasted pumpkin seeds
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Combine about 9 garlic cloves with the limejuice, about three quarters of fresh cilantro, the green chili, and half the cumin in a bowl. Press the mixture on to the game hens and leave to marinate for at least 3 hours in the refrigerator or preferably over night.
  2. Place the game hens in a roasting pan and cook in preheated oven at 400o F for 15 minutes. Remove one from the oven at this point to check whether it is cooked: pierce the thigh with a knife and if the juices run clear, the bird is cooked. If necessary, return to the oven and continue to roast until cooked through.
  3. Meanwhile, mix the crème fraîche with the bell pepper, Chipotle marinade, and remaining garlic and cumin. Set aside.
  4. Serve each game hen with a spoonful of the pepper sauce and a sprinkling of the remaining cilantro, the scallions, and pumpkin seeds. Serve right away.

I love Mexican Food! And with gardening season upon us here is another use for Zucchini.
j

Calabacitas Con Queso - Zucchini with Cheese
Zucchini, corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, and onions smothered in melted
This is a good side dish, my family loves it. Prep Time: approx. 20 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 15
Minutes. Ready in: approx. 35 Minutes. Makes 6 servings.

1 1/2 pounds zucchini, cut into
bite sized pieces
1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn
1 medium onion, sliced
1 medium green bell pepper,
coarsely chopped
1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons white sugar
1 1/2 pounds Monterey Jack
cheese, cubed

Directions
1 In a saucepan with a lid, combine zucchini, corn, onion, green pepper,
tomato, and vegetable oil. Cover, and cook over medium heat until tender.

2 Gently stir in the sugar; add cheese on top, but do not stir. Cover, and
continue cooking until cheese is melted. Stir, and add remaining cheese; cover, and continue cooking until melted. Serve warm.

Green Chile Sauce

2 tablespoons Oil or lard
1 each Clove garlic
1/2 cup Minced onion
1 tablespoon Flour
1 cup Water
1 cup Diced green chili
1 each Salt to taste

In oil in a heavy saucepan, saute’ garlic and onion. Blend in flour with wooden spoon. Add water and green chili. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.

Salsa De Chile Verde I (Basic Green Chile Sauce)

2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup white onion – chopped
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups green chiles – roast, peel, chop
1/4 cup garlic puree – *
2 cups chicken stock
3/4 teaspoon salt – or to taste

• Garlic Puree - peel 8 whole heads of garlic by smashing the cloves with the side of a wide knife; the peel will slip off easily then. Put the peeled garlic in a blender with about 2 cups of water, and puree. Drain, if necessary, and store in a tightly closed glass jar in the refrigerator.

In a medium skillet, saute onion in oil until translucent. Add the flour and mix well. Stir in the chiles, garlic puree, stock and salt and simmer 20 minutes. Puree in blender. Use immediately as a warm sauce for enchiladas. Or refrigerate or freeze.

Yield: 1 quart

Green Chile

2 to 3 lbs boneless pork sirloin roast cut into one inch cubes
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 medium onions chopped (1 1/2 to 2 cups)
3 cloves garlic - minced
1 10 oz can diced tomatoes (Rotel) or 1 fresh tomato chopped
1 Tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning
1/2 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Beef bouillon cube
3 to 4 Tablespoons cooking oil
1 27 ounce can Hatch chopped green chiles
4 to 6 cups of water

Combine flour salt and pepper in a large zip lock bag, add pork,
shake to coat evenly. Brown pork in oil in a LARGE pot. While pork
is cooking saute onions and garlic untill onions are tender, about 5
minutes. When pork is browned add sauted onions and garlic. Add
remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer
for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until pork is very tender. Serve with
warm tortillas.

Mmmmm…love green chili, don’t make it often enough. You guys are killin’ me, I took a copy of each recipe and I want to make them all…lol…and eat, NOW! :smiley: Note; a couple things I add to my green chili, coz I think it tastes good and gives me a little more volume…juice and zest fron 2 limes (flavor) and a 27oz can of tomatillos (volume)…GREEN CHILI tomorrow! 8)