Grilled Vegetable and Goats Cheese Terrine

[SIZE=4]This should be made the day before so that the Terrine can take shape but is worth the wait. Instead of Goats cheese, I think Feta would be lovely. You could also omit the cheese for a Vegan option. Perhaps add some grilled onion, Portabello mushroom or sweet potato? It’s simplicity is that is just layers of grilled vegetables. Easy to make, easy to eat and easy on the eye! My favourite type of dish. This would be great to take on a picnic too. Serve as a starter, or as main with a side salad.

INGREDIENTS

2 Eggplants (Aubergine), cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick slices

4 Zucchini (Courgette), cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick slices

3 Red peppers, cut lengthwise into 3 sections (core and seeds removed)

2 Yellow peppers, cut lengthwise into 3 sections (core and seeds removed)

100g Goats Cheese

2 tblspn Fresh Basil, chopped

2 tblspn Fresh Parsley, chopped

1/3 cup olive oil

Salt and Pepper

METHOD

Pre-heat the grill.
Brush the eggplants with oil, place on a baking sheet and grill them in batches, turning over once golden in colour. Place on kitchen towels once cooked.
Repeat for the zucchini.
Grill the peppers until the skin is blackened. Allow to cool, then peel the blackened skin off the peppers.
Mix the herbs with the goats cheese and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
Line a loaf pan, 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches, with plastic wrap, leaving a 3-inch overhang.
Arrange the zucchini slices, covering the bottom of the time.
Arrange a layer of eggplant on top of the zucchini. Then follow with a layer of the red pepper.
Smooth the goats cheese and herb mixture over the red pepper.
Repeat layers of the aubergine and peppers.
Cover the vegetables layers with the plastic overhang and weight the terrine with a 3-to-4-pound weight (such as a loaf pan filled with canned goods), and chill it for 24 hours. I used a couple of large packs of butter.
Remove the weight, invert the terrine onto a cutting board, and discard the plastic wrap. Slice and serve.
Eat and enjoy!
Serves 2-6 people.