help! cheese cake crack

Hi,
Does anyone know what my problem is when baking a cheese cake? It always cracks! I make sure my oven is never set over 350 degrees. My oven is old do you think it could still be getting too hot? Or could this be another problem. How can I avoid it. I am sick of having to cover the top of my cheese cake to hide the big crack. Help!

Hi Imtoot,

Do you bake your cheesecake in a pan of water? The humidity helps put moisture so the cheesecake doesn’t dry out and crack. Whatever type of pan you use, cover the bottom with a double layer of foil, put in a larger pan and fill that pan halfway with water and bake. Also, don’t open the oven until cheesecake is done (no peeking) as it dries it out.

Hope this helps!

Pat

Pat,
Thank you for the reply. Yes I have tried that a couple of times and it still cracked. I also tried spraying the oven with a water bottle. I don’t know what else to do. I do check it though. Maybe I should just stop that. But if it wouldn’t crack I wouldn’t check.

Hi Imtoot!

Do you overmix your batter? Overmixing the batter can cause it to crack. When I make cheesecake, I don’t put it in a “hot water bath” like some pastry chefs suggest (too much trouble for me I guess LOL) and most times it comes out great, no cracks. I’ve noticed that when I do get cracks, it’s because I’ve overmixed my batter and baked a little too long.

Make sure your cream cheese and eggs are at room temperature before making your batter. Cream the cheese with sugar until smooth. Add one egg at a time, mixing a little after each addition, but not all the way. When final egg is added, keep mixing until eggs are just incorporated. If you add other ingredients, quickly mix them in by hand.

Hope this works for you!

Hey that could be my problem! I have been practically whipping my batter! It seems the more I mix it the more creamier it gets. I will stop doing that! I bet that is it. Otherwise everything is at room temp.
Its gotta be the over mixing. I will also have to check my oven and see if it is heating properly.
Thanks everyone for the reply!