HELP WITH VEGETARIAN MENU for 200

I’ve been asked to cater a wedding for 200, the groom is vegetarian, the bride is not. What types of vegetarian meals can I make that will mass produce well? The wedding is at 10am and lunch 12pm. The bride is requesting baked chicken rice etc…and the groom mentioned some type of pasta dish, but I am not that comfy cooking pasta for 200. as you all can see I need HELP!!!. Thanks.

They also mentioned soy meatballs with some type of sauce over pasta…HELP ME PLEASEEEE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I guess the first question I have to ask you is how are you serving this? Will there be a staff serving individual plates, or will it be more of a buffet style meal? The style in which you’ll be serving it will partially dictate the types of recipes that are best to use. I have catered a few functions myself, both plated and buffet, so if you can let me know the serving style you have planned, I will be more than happy to offer you a few recipe suggestions. Also, when you say “vegetarian”, is that the no meat type, or the no meat/cheese/butter/milk/etc… type?

Joe Slate

It will be buffet style with servers, and they are no meat vegetarians. thanks. :?

OK. Well, pasta is usually the safe bet when it comes to vegetarian dishes, as it is so versatile. I take it you’re going to have a buffet table set up, with individual servers at the menu items portioning it out onto the guests plates. I don’t know what you’ve got planned for appetizers, side dishes, or the like, so I’m just going to throw out some quick ideas here and hopefully we can work you up a menu.

There are several options available to you for a vegetarian entree. Not knowing your kitchen set up and preferred cooking style, I’ll list various items to spark some thought, and can post some, all, or none of the recipes for you, depending on your wants.

As I mentioned before, pasta is the classic standby for vegetarian meals. Although that doesn’t mean it has to be spaghetti and red sauce. I have a recent post on here labeled “A Whole New Lasagna”, which is easily converted to full vegetarian (all you have to do is leave out the ham). It is a white-sauce-based lasagna, versus the usual bolognese style sauce, and is much lighter than regular lasagna (most vegetables don’t hold up well served in a tomato-based sauce). This is easily made with can vegetables substituted for the fresh ones, and the flavor is almost equal and your prep time is reduced to almost nothing.

For a mexican flare, chile rellenos is a wonderful vegetarian dish that is both extremely flavorful and easy to prepare. Depending on where you live (or what major food company you can get to deliver) you can get #10 cans of relleno peppers, which have been roasted, seeded, and halved. If available in your local market, they are called poblano peppers. All you do is roast them (if you are using fresh peppers), cool and clean them, stuff them with a mixture of monterey jack (or pepperjack) and cheddar cheese, top them with enchilada sauce and a little more shredded cheddar, and bake until warmed through. You can also fatten them up a bit by adding some mexican rice to the cheese filling.

Now for a straight pasta dish, your choices are endless. You can serve fettuccine alfredo, bow ties in a gorgonzola sauce, penne in pesto, and the list goes on. Most pastas with a white sauce for a base can be augmented by a variety of green vegetables (broccoli, peas, and asparagus are very popular). All of these dishes are for the most part easy to prepare, especially in an industrial kitchen. There are also a variety of other foreign foods (like Polish potato pierogi and most asian dishes) which you could use as well. However if you’ll be sticking to a theme of sorts, you’ll probably want to stick with one particular culture.

If you will be serving side dishes, as I am assuming you will be, that will also have to be taken into account when it comes to selecting your main course or courses. I would suggest that you either go with an Italian or a Mexican theme. This is simply because they are the two most popular cuisines that offer a great variety of vegetarian items. Of course if you’re going with more of a smorgesborrde, then the sky is the limit. I don’t mean to write your ear off here, I just don’t want to post a bunch of stuff that isn’t going to fit your needs.

I know I haven’t really gotten you closer to having a menu yet :frowning: , but by going over it a little bit at a time, you should have a menu in no time. Also, I can post any or all of the recipes I mentioned if you’d like, I just didn’t want to cloud your decision making process any more than I already have :smiley:

Joe

Some folks are okay with seafood, but not “meat” is this the case here? If so, you can add to Joe’s great ideas and add a pasta seafood dish as well. When making the pasta dishes, dont forget to cook al dente and rinse with very cold water to stop the cooking process. There is nothing worse than gummy pasta. A layerd egg plant dish can be a good option. You can use a red or a white sauce with it, cheese, mushrooms etc. Tou could also make individual servings of egg plant parm, making it look like chicken or veal parm. Throw a few menu ideas out to the bride. Cooking for so many, I know I can get crazy and go all over the place with different dishes. Some like a wide variety, some like more of a theme idea. Talk to her, and see what she has invisioned. Dont worry, we can help with great ideas here. The cooks at this web site are the best!

Hi all! This is my first post to these boards! Hope I post these correctly, and hope exporting them is acceptable. Please let me know if it is not.

I have a number of vegetarian recipes that I think can easily have the ingredients multiplied with good results that might work for you.

Since it’s a lot, i’ll break up the posts, and probably return to add more later.

I even have a few that can even easily be used for both veggies and non-veggies (which would be the way I would tend to go), like my Thai Noodles with Peanut Sauce (which I’ll post first).

The basic recipe can be served easily in a chafing dish; A layer of noodles with peanut sauce, then topped with colorful steamed veggies. In another chafing dish you can offer skewered, grilled satay-style grilled chicken, beef, and/or shrimp, which the non-veggies can add on top of their portion.

You can do the same with chafing dishes of a few different types of pasta surrounded by some entrees such as one of eggplant parmigiana and one of veal, chicken or shrimp parmigiana (or a mixture of all 3), as well as an Italian flavored baked cihcken.

This is a thai noodle with peanut sauce recipe I like to make, but you can find many other versions around the web:

*  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

THAI NOODLES

Recipe By : The Internet Chef – Web
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pasta & Noodle Dishes Thai
Vegetarian

Amount Measure Ingredient – Preparation Method

3 cups chopped cabbage
1 medium onion – chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons peanut or vegetable oil
9 ounces linguini or long rice noodles
1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce*
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 clove garlic – minced or mashed
7 ounces coconut milk
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro (see note)
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh basil

Saute cabbage & onion in oil until just softened (see notes). Set aside in large bowl. Cook pasta until al dente. While pasta cooks, mix next 9 ingredients in a saucepan. Heat gently, adding coconut milk gradually. Do not boil. Mix cooked pasta with sauce & veggies. Mix in cilantro and basil. Serve immediately.

Serves 4-6 main dish servings. This is a heavy dish. Served with a steamed vegetable and/or a light salad.

• Use regular or vegetarian worcestershire, as you prefer.

MY NOTES:
Also, as I was out of crushed red pepper, I used hot pepper sauce, which I think was a more than adequate substitution, as would, most likely, be cayenne pepper.

I prefer to sautee the cabbage & onion on a high heat and allow it to brown a bit. I prefer the flavor it gives the dish, but use your own preference.

I have also made this using dried cilantro and basil, and although a bit different, is still quite good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

These would work really well as part of the appetizers. It’s great spread on crackers.

You might also do a search for “vegetarian chopped liver” which is similar in taste to a pate. I had a recipe somewhere, but can’t find it at the momeht, but check this out. It’s really great, and can be refrigerated for a day or two easily.

MOCK TUNA SALAD (CHICK PEA SALAD)

Recipe By : Allrecipes.com – Web
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers Appetizers, Dips, Spreads
Appetizers/First Course Salads, Main Dish
Sandwiches & Burgers Vegetarian
Appetizers, Snacks & Dips

1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas) – drained & mashed
2 tablespoons mayonnaise (or vegan substitute)
2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
2 green onions – chopped
salt and pepper – to taste
2 tablespoons minced onions – optional
– (my addition)

In a medium bowl, combine garbanzo beans, mayonnaise, mustard, relish, chopped green onions, salt, pepper, an onion if desired. Mix well.

Another idea would be a chafing dish filled with vegetable egg foo yung patties, with the sauce ladeled on by the servers.

If they eat dairy products, the greens and mozzarella casserole should work very well in a chafing dish (and can be multiplied for more servings), is to die for (as well as being low carb for those interested):

And the recipe below it, Broccoli Cornbread Casserole, has a very delicate, delicious flavor, and is quite pretty (at least in my opinion :slight_smile:

GREENS & MOZZARELLA CASSEROLE

Recipe By : Unknown – Web
Categories : Casseroles & One-Dish Meals Cheese Dishes
Vegetarian

1 1/2 lbs greens, washed & trimmed (kale, collards, – beet greens,
or any combination – I used spinach)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup half and half
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
2 ounces mozzarella cheese – shredded

Butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish or casserole; preheat the oven to 375 degrees or 350 degrees for oven-proof glass.

Cut out and discard the tough stems; if using kale or collards, cut out thick center ribs. Rinse all the greens and shake off any excess water, chop them into 1/2-inch pieces. In a large skillet, cook the greens over low heat, adding them by handfuls and stirring them down as they wilt. Add 1/2 cup of water if the greens seem dry, then cover the skillet and braise for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender. Pour off any liquid left in the skillet, then season the greens with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.

Heat the broth and half-and-half in a saucepan, just until bubbles form around the edge of the pan. In a large skillet, melt the butter over low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for one minute. Add the hot broth mixture all at once and stir over medium heat until the sauce is smooth and thickened. Whisk in the grated Parmesan and ricotta. Stir the greens into the cheese sauce and pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and then sprinkle the grated mozzarella over the top. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the mozzarella is melted and lightly browned. Serve immediately.

BROCCOLI CORNBREAD CASSEROLE

Recipe By : Adapted from Blessings Cookbook
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads, Quick, Savory Breakfast/Brunch Dishes
Casseroles & One-Dish Meals Cheese Dishes
Bring-Alongs Vegetarian
Side Dishes

2 boxes corn muffin mix
4 tablespoons butter or margarine – melted
4 eggs – beaten
1 medium onion – chopped fine
1 10-oz. pkg. frozen, chopped broccoli – thawed
2 cups cottage cheese
optional whole kernel corn, 1 or 2 tbs
sour cream

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9x13" pan.

Mix all ingredients well and spread in pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes.

One last thought…

Another dish that could work for both veggie and non, as with the Thai Noodles, would be a vegetable chow fun, with a chafing dish, again, of teriyaki grilled beef, chicken, and/or shrimp to be added to the plates of those who want it.

If you don’t have your own, here is a very good one from Jeff Smith for Beef Chow Fun… just leave out the beef, add some sauteed veggies and possibly some fried tofu slices and you’re all set!

CHOW FUN (Beef)

Recipe By : Frugal Gourmet Cooks Three Ancient Cuisines
Categories : Chicken, Boneless Chinese/Asian
Pasta & Noodle Dishes

a batch of chow fun noodles

1 pound flank steak, sliced thin across the grain

MARINADE

1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 egg white
1 tablespoon peanut oil

7 tablespoons peanut oil – for frying
2 cloves garlic – finely chopped
1 slice ginger, 25 cent piece, – julienned
1 tablespoon fermented black beans (dow see) – vital for flavor
1 tablespoon chinese rice wine – or dry sherry
1/2 medium onion – peeled & sliced
1/2 green pepper – cored & julienned

SAUCE
 1/4  teaspoon      monosodium glutamate -- optional

1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon chinese rice wine – or dry sherry
pinch white pepper
1 tablespoon oyster sauce

1 cup fresh beansprouts
cilantro for garnish

This is awesome stuff! Though author Jeff Smith recommends 7 T. of peanut oil, this can be reduced by almost 1/2. The change really makes the recipe better, as a matter of fact.

Slice chow fun noodles about 1/2 inch wide…you can oil the noodle a bit before slicing so that the strands will not stick together. Slice the meat and mix the marinade. Marinate the meat for 15 minutes. Heat the wok and add 2 T. of the peanut oil. Toss the noodles about in the oil until they are very hot and begin to color just a bit on the edges. Remove to the serving platter and set aside.

Heat the wok again and add 3 T. of the peanut oil, along with the garlic and ginger. Stir fry for a moment and add the rinsed black beans and the sherry. In this stir fry the onion and green pepper, just until very hot. Remove to the serving platter.

Heat the wok a 3rd time and add 2 T peanut oil and the meat. Stir fry on one side only until it begins to brown. Return the vegetables, the noodles and the sauce to the wok and toss with the meat until hot. Add the bean sprouts, toss just a minute or so, and serve.

Hope this all is at least somewhat helpful. Good luck! If there’s anything else, please let me know.

I was just going to log off, when I remembered this pasta recipe. I have not tried it yet myself, but it sounds wonderful, and is in my little pile of recipes I definitely plan to try soon, so I figured I’d post it anyway. Seems like it would be fancy enough for a wedding, and hopefully would hold up in a chafing dish (although I’d probably do a test run on it first). If not, perhaps it can be adjusted to hold up better by adding a thickener.

It sonds like it would be great with some added asparagus as well. Here goes…

FETTUCINI ALL’ARANCIA

6 tablespoons butter.
2 teaspoons grated orange orange zest
1 teaspoon fresh mint leaves, finedly minced (don’t overdo mint)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 pound fettucini noodles
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
whole mint leaves for garnish

Melt the butter and stir in orange zest, minced mint leaves, salt and pepper. Add orange juice and cook until reduced by one third. Remove from heat but keep warm.

Cook fettucini until al dente and add to the orange butter sauce, tossing while adding 1/2 cup parmesan.

Garnish with mint and serve.