Hot Dog Snacks

This is a little something I created for my son, and it turns out the rest of the family loves them too. It’s a different way to make hot dogs, and the topping possibilities are limited only by your imagination.

1 package of your favorite hot dogs
1 package large flour tortillas (10 inch)
shredded cheese of your choice (cheddar works well, and pepperjack too)
Oil for deep frying

If you have a grill mister to tame hot spots on your grill, fill it up with water. If not, a bowl of water and a pastry brush will work fine. Working with one tortilla at a time, lightly mist them with water (this helps them to steam and become pliable) and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and place a small amount of cheese in the center, in a pile about as long as the hot dog. Next, place the hot dog on top of the cheese. Looking at the hot dog horizontally, fold the tortilla over the hot dog. Then fold the left and right sides of the tortilla over the ends of the hot dog at a 45 degree angle. Now, holding both ends of the fold against the ends of the hot dog with your pinky fingers, and gently holding the rest of the tortilla against the hot dog, roll it up tightly. Place toothpicks through the wrap along the loose edge of the tortilla to keep it sealed while it cooks. Cook them in a fryer (or a dutch oven) at 375 degrees until they are golden brown, turning once to promote even browning. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. To serve, simply cut them in half (there will be steam built up inside and you don’t want to burn your mouth). You can serve them with a small cup of ketchup, mustard, or your favorite sauce. I myself love them smothered in chili and cheese. Enjoy!