SOURCE	FELICITY'S COOK BOOK - AMERICAN GIRL COLLECTION       

2 Tblsp Butter
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Cornmeal, yellow
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Tsp. Sugar
1/2 Cup Milk
Butter, to grease skillet
Apple Butter, honey, or syrup (optional)

Heat the water and butter in a saucepan over medium high heat until boiling.
While the water and butter are boiling, put the cornmeal, salt, and sugar into a mixing bowl.
Pour the boiling butter, water mixture into the mixing bowl. Add the milk and stir the batter until it is well mixed.
Grease the skillet with butter. Then heat over medium-low heat.
Drop 6 spoonfuls of batter into the skillet. Let the cakes cook about 5 minutes, until they are golden brown. Turn the cakes over and let cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and keep warm if to be eaten while hot. Drop a spoonfull of butter into the skillet and let melt. Tilt the skillet to coat with melted butter. Cook the remainder of the cakes following the above method until all batter is used up. When the cakes are cooked, serve with the applebutter, honey, or syrup.
If not to be used right away, cool and store in a dry, cool place. These cakes travel well for several days un-refrigerated.

This recipe will not hold up on the trail due to the eggs, early journey cake recipes contained no eggs.

Thin skinned arn’t we?

If opinions and reviews are not allowed on this site you should say so in big bold letters.

I am a student of history and historical recipes I know my recipes that I say are historical are just that, sorry you don’t think so, each to their own!

[quote=“Kitchen Witch”]Sorry Shadows -

We disagree on recipes - it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that early cowboys did not have portable refrigerators to haul around with them in their covered wagons!

But that doesn’t mean that they never had eggs!

If you don’t like my recipes - then don’t read them. You are NOT and authority on everything. As a matter of fact - here is an ORIGINAL Johnny Cake recipe and a few others - and THIS is how they were made on the trail!!!" end quote

Bannock or fry bread was not the same as Journey cakes not in anyones cookbook. Sorry if you disagree with me but there is no need to be vicious just because I don’t agree with you.