Lemon Cream Cheese Pie
A great double-layered pie for summer with lemon topping covering a creamy cheesecake filling. Make the crust from scratch like the pros, or take the easy route with a pre-made graham cracker crust found in the baking aisle. Either way it’s pie heaven.
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Cream Cheese Filling
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the crust by combining the graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and sugar in a small bowl. Press the crust mixture into an 8-inch pie pan.
- Prepare the cream cheese filling by mixing cream cheese with 1/4 cup sugar, vanilla and an egg using an electric mixer. Mix well until smooth. Pour cream cheese filling into graham cracker crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until center is cooked. A knife stuck in the middle of the filling should come out mostly clean.
- As the pie cools, make the lemon filling by combining 1/2 cup sugar with cornstarch, salt and water in a small saucepan. Set mixture over low heat and bring to a simmer, stirring often.
- Whisk in egg yolks, then add lemon juice and butter. When mixture simmers again remove it immediately from the heat.
- Pour the lemon filling over the cream cheese filling, and let the pie cool. When cool, chill pie in the refrigerator for several hours before serving. Slice into 6 pieces to serve restaurant-size portions.
Makes 6 servings