Looking for Macaroni Grill bread dipping sauce recipe

I would like to get the recipe for the bread dipping sauce from Macaroni Grill. Can anyone help me?

I know they use extra-virgin olive oil (cold-press - the first pressing) with fresh cracked black pepper as their “Italian Butter”.

This is a dipping sauce that I use -

it may be similar or you can “tweak” it the way you want it -

Bread Dipping Sauce Mix

1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt

Place all ingredients in grinder and grind evenly if you like - if not, mix well.

Store airtight.

When you want to use it - mix 1 tablespoon of this mixutre with olive oil (extra-virgin preferred). You can adjust the flavor the way you want.

Dip warm bread into mixture and enjoy!

If making subs/hoagies/sandwiches - I combine this mixture in a plastic bottle similar to a plastic ketchup or mustard bottle and shake and squeeze on the bread as a dressing. It can also be used with mayo/salad dressing on sandwiches for a little extra “zing” in the flavor.

I went to a beauty supply house and bought several different sizes of hair dye applicator bottles that I use in my pantry. You can cut the tips as large as you would like for many uses. Those bottles are used for salad dressings, chocolates, syrups, icing cookies with designs, BBQ sauces, etc.
just use your imagination!

Kitchen Witch

[b]That’s similar to the recipe I use. I fiddled with the basic recipe looking to make a knock-off of Carabba’s dipping sauce.

I never thought of making up a batch of the dried herbs, though. Thanks for that tip! I think I’d omit the garlic and add it when I mix it with the EVOO, though, cause we like ours garlicky and I usually crush about 5 cloves for each recipe.[/b]

BLUEJEANZ -

Let me know how it works for you.

I am another garlic lover - I always have a large basket or garlic ready for anything I want to use it in!

Kitchen Witch

[b]I will, thanks! One of my daughters loves lots of garlic like I do but my other daughter eats very little of it. It seems to “stay with her” and, since she works in a doctor’s office, doesn’t want to offend anyone.

I just bought five large heads to roast. I squeeze them out into olive oil and keep it in the fridge for whenever I need it.[/b]

Kitchen Witch I tried your recipe and it turned out awesome, much better than the Macaroni Grill’s. I was there just two nights ago so there’s was fresh in my mind. I baked my own bread to dip in it. My bread recipe is quick and easy. This is the one I used.

3 cups self rising flour
3 Tblsp sugar
12 oz beer

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray loaf pan with non stick spray. Mix flour and sugar in bowl then pour in beer, mix well. Spoon batter in pan. Bake in 375 oven for 50 minutes. Pour a little melted butter over top and sprinkle with parmesan cheese then bake about 10 more minutes. Let cool in pan for a few minutes before removing and slicing. Sometimes I mix in about 1/2 cup of shredded colby jack.

I had a feeling you would like that recipe better than Macaroni Grill’s. Never thought of dipping beer bread though but - bread is bread!!! I love to dip bread - I was brought up doing it! Geez - a meal can be made with just that for me. But then again - I dip everything.

Kitchen Witch

I make this bread whenever I don’t like the bread the store bakery has. I always use it as a base and add different spices because my boyfriend says with it plain, the beer taste is too overpowering. Do you have any easy bread recipes? This is the only one I’ve ever tried making, so I don’t have much experience making bread. Thanks, Shelley shells0497@gmail.com

Shelley -

I am not sure of what you mean by “easy” bread recipe. Do you have a bread machine? Are you looking to use as few ingredients as possible? Are you looking for a recipe with less/more rise time?

Here’s some for you - let me know what you would like and I can dig up a few more.

Kitchen Witch

Slow Rise Bread

It’s not hard to make although it does take a while. The long rise lets you start it in the evening, put it away and come back to it in the morning. Taking that long to rise also gives it a nice sourdoughy flavor. The rye flour also adds a wonderful flavor to it.

* 1 tsp Sugar
* 1/2 tsp yeast (not a typo)
* 3 cups lukewarm water

Stir above till dissolved then add

* 1 cup rye flour
* 3 cups white flour

Stir batter 100 times in same direction. This keeps the gluten strings together or something. Cover let stand 1/2 - 2 hours then sprinkle with…

1 Tablespoon salt

Mix in 1 cup at a time

4-5 cups white flour
knead till slightly elastic

Place in large oiled bowl, turn to coat & cover with plastic wrap. Let rise till double (8-12 hours).

Punch down, form one loaf, let rise till almost double 30-45 minutes

Preheat oven 400 degrees, slash loaf diagonaly with knife

Mist bread with spray bottle, bake 10 minutes, mist again. (gives a nice crust)

Lower heat to 375 bake 25-35 minutes. Rub with butter while still hot.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

White Bread

3 cups lukewarm water

½ cup plus 1 teaspoon white sugar

2 Tablespoons yeast granules (or 2 packets)

1 Heaping Tablespoon salt

½ cup salad oil, melted butter, or melted shortening

11 cups all purpose flour

In a large, warmed bowl, pour: 1 cup lukewarm water

In the water dissolve: 1 teaspoon white sugar

Over the water sprinkle: 2 Tablespoons yeast granules (or 2 packets), we use Red Star Yeast

Let stand 10 minutes, then stir until yeast is completely dissolved. Then stir in: 2 cups lukewarm water, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1 heaping Tablespoon salt, 1/2 cup salad oil, melted butter, or melted shortening. Beat, then stir in 1 cup at a time: about 9 cups all purpose bread flour. (If you?re using a mixer, switch from paddle to bread hook when dough begins to get sticky on paddle. If you are mixing by hand, know that mixing in all that flour will be a workout, but it?s worth it!! )

To knead by hand: Scrape the dough onto a well floured surface, sprinkle it with flour and knead it. Gather the dough together in your hands and push it away from you with your palms. Fold it in half towards you, then turn ¼ turn and repeat pushing, folding, and turning, sprinkling flour on the dough to keep it from sticking, this may take up to a cupful more. Keep kneading for several minutes, until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.

To knead by machine: Leave in mixer bowl with dough hook, then set mixer on low, and let it knead for 5 minutes (check often to make sure that the dough isn?t ?crawling? out of the bowl. If it crawls up, just turn off the machine and push it back down, then continue kneading.

After kneading, put the dough in a large oiled bowl, and flip to coat both sides with oil. Loosely cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and place in a warm place (near a woodstove or in an oven that has been preheated for 30 seconds then turned off. IMPORTANT!!! Always preheat the oven, turn off, and then put the dough in the oven. I?ve had it happen too often that I forget to turn off the oven and then it ruins the dough!! ) Let it rise for 1 to 2 hours, or until the dough has doubled. Punch the dough down to remove air bubbles, then divide in 3 parts. Shape each into a loaf and place into a greased loaf pan. Cover the loaves with a dish towel and put in a warm place again to rise the second time. The loaves should double, about 1 hour. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. When bread is golden brown on top and bottom and bread sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom, it?s done!!! Remove from pans to a rack and allow to cool.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

this one sounds nutty but makes a yummy 2 small loaves of home made bread.

take 3 cups better for bread or regular wheat flour
  1 Tablespoon  instant yeast
  1  12 oz can warm pop  (ANY flavor) like grape is wonderful with ribs, although my favorite is orange pineapple.

stir yeast into flour add warm pop, stir and divide in two small loaf pans

let rise if desired bake at 375* for 15 to 20 minutes

no need to knead!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Never - Fail White Bread

* 2 pkg dry yeast put into
      * 1/2 cup warm Water
      * 1 3/4 .lukewarm milk  
      * 7 cups flour
      * 3 TBL sugar
      * 2 TBL soft shortening

Take 1/2 of the flour, milk, sugar & shortening - work together. Pour in yeast & rest of flour work until smooth. (dip hands in butter or shortening) Knead. Place in buttered/greased bowl; cover and let rise. (1hr).

After risen, punch down, knead.

Lightly grease pans. Punch down shape into 2 loaves. Put into pans, cover and let rise again. Preheated oven 425 degrees F.

Let bake for 25-30 min. or until done.

I geuss what I mean by easy, really means not easy to ruin. I’ll try the ones you send that sound like less kneading and rising, thats where I always figured I would do something wrong. Then I’ll move on to the one’s that sound more involved. My mom gave me her bread machine a few weeks ago, but I haven’t had the chance to try using it yet. Thanks Again, Shelley

Shelley -

Don’t be afraid of kneading dough -

How to Knead Bread Dough

Kneading the dough is one of the most important steps in bread baking. This step more than any other will determine the outcome of the bread.

Steps: 1. Start with dough that has been measured and mixed properly.

1. Turn the dough out on a clean, floured work surface.

2. Flour your hands well.

3. Use the heel of your hands to compress and push the dough away from you, then fold it back over itself.

4. Give the dough a little turn and repeat Step 4. Put the weight of your body into the motion and get into a rhythm.

5. Keep folding over and compressing the dough until it becomes smooth and slightly shiny, almost satiny. Check your recipe for specifics. The most common test for doneness is to press it with your finger. If the indentation remains, it’s ready for rising. You can also try stretching part of the dough into a rectangle. If it can stretch into a thin sheet without breaking, you’ve kneaded it enough.

It’s difficult to over-knead dough by hand, but it’s actually very easy to do with a machine, so check it fairly often. Kneading one loaf’s worth of white-bread dough by hand should take about 10 minutes. Kneading two loaves’ worth takes almost double the time. It takes longer for whole-wheat flour as well. (An all-whole-wheat loaf would take twice as long to knead, but you’ll seldom make an all-whole-wheat loaf.)

Kneading does three crucial things for bread: it distributes the yeast and other ingredients evenly and thoroughly, it develops the gluten in the dough, and it introduces air. The gluten, or wheat protein, is what enables the dough to stretch instead of collapsing when the yeast grows inside it. If the gluten isn’t developed, the dough won’t rise well and will produce a heavy loaf - rather like a brick.

Some bread recipes call for a second kneading just before the dough is added to the loaf pans. Professional bakers call this benching and shaping the dough.

Shelley - let me know if this is any help - and do you need help with proofing yeast, etc.??? Just let me know.

Kitchen Witch

How to Proof Yeast

“Proofing” can mean several things in bread baking: ensuring that the yeast is active, setting the dough to rise, and letting the shaped loaves rise before baking.

Steps: 1. To proof the yeast and make sure it’s active, add one packet active dry yeast to 1/4 c. warm water (between 110 and 115 degrees F) and stir to dissolve. (The water should feel like a pleasantly warm shower, or about the temperature you’d use for a baby’s bottle. If it feels uncomfortably hot, it will probably kill the yeast.) Add one teaspoon of sugar and let the yeast sit for five minutes. If the yeast is foamy and smells like bread, it’s active.

1. To set dough for rising, find a place in your home that is at or closest to 80 degrees F (27C). This is the optimum temperature for proofing yeast and allowing dough to rise.

2. Gather the kneaded dough into a ball (see “How to Knead Bread Dough” for more information about this crucial step) and cover it with a floured linen towel, a piece of plastic wrap or other cover. Covering the dough prevents moisture loss and contamination by competing yeasts.

3. Allow dough to rise undisturbed. It’s done when it approximately doubles in size and it does not spring back when poked with a finger.

4. Punch the dough down after it’s risen. This relieves stress on the dough, squeezes out unwanted gas and redistributes the yeast, which improves most breads.

5. Form the bread into loaves, then cover and let rise again. If possible, let this rising take place in a moist area; you might use a damp towel for covering the loaves. The second rising usually takes half as long as the first; be ready for this and be ready to bake as soon as the dough has finished rising.

How to Make White Bread

Makes two loaves.

Mixing the Dough

Steps: 1. In a measuring cup, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water.

1. Mix together salt, sugar, and 5 cups flour in a large bowl.

2. Add milk, oil and yeast mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl. Start by stirring with a wooden spoon, but you might graduate to your hands after a few minutes.

3. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it for 10 to 15 minutes, adding as much as flour as necessary if the dough feels sticky. 5. Form the dough into a ball. Yeast needs a warm environment (ideally about 100 to 110 degrees F) to “turn on” and start to grow. However, too warm an environment (over 115 degrees F) will kill the yeast. If the water you use feels nicely warm, but not too hot (as for a baby’s bottle), it’s probably fine. For more info, see “How to Proof Yeast”.

Bread flour has more gluten than all-purpose flour, and makes for a higher loaf; gluten, a wheat protein, is what allows the dough to rise well. (The protein network of the gluten lets the dough stretch without falling.) You can substitute all-purpose flour.

For more on kneading, see “How to Knead Bread Dough”.

Warnings: Don’t leave salt out of bread dough; it will rise too quickly and fall.

Ingredients:
1/2 c. lukewarm water
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. warm milk
1 tbsp. sugars
2 tbsp. vegetable oils
5-6 c. bread flour
1 tbsp. dry yeast

Preparing and Baking
Steps: 1. Put the smooth ball of dough into a clean bowl coated lightly with vegetable oil. Turn the dough once so that the top is oiled.

1. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in a warm place until the dough rises to roughly double its original size. Check after 45 minutes.

2. Dump the dough back onto the floured surface and punch it down.

3. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and let rest for five minutes.

4. To make a pan loaf, use your hands to roll each piece into a thick cylinder a little longer than your bread pan. Using the heels of your hands, press the cylinder in to compress it to the length of the pan.

5. Put the loaves into oiled bread pans. The sides of the loaves, especially the short ends, should touch the sides of the pan.

6. Put a kitchen towel over the bread pans and let the dough rise in a warm place until it is roughly twice its original size, about 35 to 40 minutes.

7. Put the loaves in the oven at 400 degrees F and bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until golden brown and the bottoms have a hollow sound when thwacked with your hand.

8. Remove from pans and cool on racks.
    Although it is tempting to rip right into fresh bread, it won’t cut well until it’s cooled (in technical terms, it will smoosh).

Shelley - I hope this helps you.

Kitchen Witch

Shelley -

I don’t have a bread machine - but some of the girls from my recipe swap do. I like to be able to shape the loaves the way I want them. Someday I may get a machined - but until then - it’s leftie and rightie for making bread.

This is something from my recipe swap - I hope it helps you some.

Generic Bread Machine Instructions

These instructions were written for people that may have just bought or had been given a used bread machine and they didn’t get the instruction booklet. It is also for those that have misplaced theirs. Through our testing we have found the instructions below to be reliable for dozens of different brands and types of bread machines. However, we make no guarantees. You may need to make some minor adjustments. These instructions are being provided as a starting point.

Step 1:

Gather all of the machines parts. You should have the following?

* The machine itself
* The baking pan
* The kneading blade(s) or paddle(s).
* The Dough Pin (on some older Zojirushi machines there is also a pin that slips into a hole in the side of the pan. If you have this type of machine you will need the pin also.)
* Rubber gasket (some older machines like the DAK have a rubber type washer that seals the bottom of the pan; these are very old machines and quite rare.)

Step 2:

Before you start throwing things in your machines pan, you need to know if you have a sealed or unsealed pan. On some older machines when the pan is removed from the machine there is a hole in the bottom of the pan where the mixing shaft was. Basically, it will not hold water or much else when the pan is removed from the machine. If this is what you have, you have an unsealed pan.

All modern machines on the market have a sealed pan. When removed from the machine, it will hold water with the mixing shaft being part of the pan. With an unsealed pan you have three things you need to remember.

1. You may need to use a rubber type washer when you insert the pan in the machine and lock it in place. All of this is so it will hold the ingredients without leaking, although some seepage may occur.
  2. If you purchased the machine used, then be careful. There is a better than average chance that the rubber seal is old and warn out. It is best to put the pan in the machine with the rubber seal and place a small amount of water in the pan. Let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes and then check for any leaks. You will of course have to use a towel or something to soak up the water in the pan before you remove it. Also, check to make sure that the rubber seal is flexible and isn’t cracked or worn. If it isn’t flexible or it has cracks then you will need to find a replacement which will be very hard to do since these machines aren?t made any more.
  3. You will need to add the yeast first, the dry ingredients second and any wet/moist ingredients last. This is to lessen the chance that the wet/moist ingredients will leak out the bottom of the pan.

If you have an unsealed panned machine my recommendation is to give it to Goodwill and purchase a new machine. At places like Target, Wal-Mart and Amazon.com you can get very nice new machines for $30 to $50. I think in the long run you will be much happier.

On sealed pan machines you need to reverse the order of the ingredients. The wet/moist ingredients go first, and then the dry and finally the yeast goes on top. Whatever machine you have, it is very important that the yeast not become wet until the machine starts to mix the ingredients together.

Step 3:

Now that you know if you have a sealed or unsealed pan, you are ready to assemble the pan and kneading blade or paddle. Most machines (at least the ones we have seen) have removable kneading blade(s) or paddle(s). To assemble the pan, you will need to place the kneading blade(s) or paddle(s) on the shaft(s) in the bottom of the pan. Some machines may have two, it doesn’t matter which goes where. For the sealed bottom machines you can do this without inserting the pan in the machine. If you have an unsealed pan you will need to put the pan in the machine and then put the blade or paddle in place. Do not forget to do this step otherwise the dough will not mix.

NOTE: If you have a dual paddle/blade machine it is best to put them on so that they face away from one another. This will help ensure proper kneading of the dough and prevent the dough from spinning around on one of the paddles/blades.

Step 4:

You are now ready to start adding the recipe ingredients. Until you get a feel for the machine and the look and feel of the dough. We strongly recommend that you start by making a few loaves of BMD White Bread. Basic white bread is the easiest and most foolproof bread to make. It is also at this time you will need to know what size machine you have. There are 1 pound, 1-1/2 pound, 2 and 2-1/2 pound machines. Most machines are 1-1/2 or 2 pound. Generally I don’t make loaves larger than 1-1/2 pounds. Most 2-pound machines use 1-1/2 pound pans anyways.

* 1 Pound. The machines use 2 to 2-1/4 cups of bread flour, which makes a loaf of bread that will yield about 8 slices of bread.
* 1-1/2 Pound. The machine uses 3 cups of bread flour, which makes a loaf of bread that will yield about 12 slices of bread.
* 2 Pound. The machine can use up to 4 cups of bread flour, which makes a loaf of bread that will yield about 16 slices of bread.
* 2-1/2 Pound. The machine can use 5 to 6 cups of bread flour, which makes loaf of bread that will yield about 20 slices of bread.

Now lets put the ingredients in the pan.

Sealed Bottom Pans

First make sure you have the paddle(s) in place. Then place the wet and moist ingredients in first, then the dry and finally make a dent on the top of the dry ingredients and place your yeast there.

Unsealed Bottom Pans

First make sure you have the paddle(s) in place. Then place the yeast in the pan first, then the dry ingredients and finally the wet and moist ingredients.

Step 5:

Now you need to fit the pan into the machine and lock it in place. Some machines just snap the pan in and others require you to put it in at an angle and then twist it into place. If you have an unsealed pan, your pan should already be in place. Once the pan is in place, you need to select the appropriate cycle. Because we are making white bread you need to use the “Basic”, or “White” cycle. You may also have the option of selecting loaf size and crust color. On 1-1/2 pound machines you usually have the option of 1 or 1-1/2 pound loaf sizes. On 2-pound machines you usually have the option of 1-1/2 pound or 2-pound and some have a 1-pound option. If you have a 1-pound machine you won’t have this option at all. For white bread I like the light crust setting. If you are uncertain, use the default. Not all machines have a crust setting option; these machines usually are permanently set to medium crust color, which is fine. Now press the “Start” or “Go” button.

Depending on your machine it may start to mix right away or it may take it from 10 to 45 minutes before it begins to mix. If there is a delay, it means your machine has a preheat cycle that warms the ingredients before it mixes them. While this can be nice if it is a short 10-minute cycle, it is a real pain if it is a long 45-minute one. On most machines it is short, if it is not there really is anything you can do but live with it.

Step 6:

Your machine has started to knead the ingredients. Allow it to knead for about 10 minutes and then come back and open the lid. It is at this time you need to check the dough. If the dough looks slack or overly wet, you will need to add flour. Add 1 Tbsp. of bread flour at a time, until it forms a nice smooth ball. If the dough is dry and crumbly you will need to add water. Add 1 Tbsp. of water at a time until the dough forms a nice smooth ball. Once the dough has formed a nice smooth ball there is one more test you can put to it to make sure it is the correct consistency. Touch the dough ball with your index finger. The dough should be tacky like the sticky part of a Post-It Note. If when you pull your finger away there is dough stick to it, then the dough is too wet. If there is dough on your finger again add 1 Tbsp. flour at a time until it passes the test. If the dough isn’t tacky at all add 1 Tbsp. Water at a time until it is. During this testing phase you may need to close the lid in order for the machine to continue kneading. Also, allow the machine to knead for a minute or so after each flour or water addition. 1 tablespoon water or flour can make or break the dough. But don’t let this panic you. You will get the hang of it.

You should perform this test each time you make bread, even when using the same recipe. The reason is that depending on the weather and how you store your flour, it may have more or less moisture in it. Nine times out of ten this is not a problem, but it is good to check. Once you have confirmed the dough feels and looks right, close the lid and wait for the completion beep.

Step 7:

The machine has beeped and the cycle is finished. Remove the pan from the machine as soon as possible. If the bread sits in the machine too long, the escaping steam will cause the crust to become soggy and I find the bread becomes tougher too. Some machines have a cool down or keep warm function. While this will help, it is still best to get the bread out of the pan ASAP. Allow the pan and bread to cool for 10 minutes. Then invert the pan and shake the bread out. Make sure and use potholders or baking gloves, as the pan and bread will still be hot. The 10 minutes is important it allows the crust of the bread to soften a bit. This will make getting it out of the pan much easier. When the bread has been removed from the pan you will need to allow it to cool on a cooling rack at least 20 minutes before cutting it. The bread will have the best flavor when completely cooled. Congratulations you have just baked your first loaf of bread.

The directions you just followed apply to all bread made in your machine. These directions also apply to making dough. That is if your machine has a dough or manual cycle as most do. The only difference with dough or manual cycle is that the machine makes the dough; you remove the dough, shape it and then bake it in your regular oven.

A Few Tips

* If your machine doesn't have a cycle for a specific type of bread, use the basic or white cycle. For example, you want to make whole wheat bread, but your machine doesn't have a whole wheat, wheat, grain or multigrain cycle. Use the basic or white cycle.
* There are a few exceptions to the tackiness test for bread. For example the recipe for Sally Lunn bread which is a very rich egg bread creates a dough that is very wet compared to others. This is normal and for these types of recipes you don't want to adjust the recipe. Unless the recipe states that the dough will be a wet one assume that the dough must pass the tackiness test talked about above.

and if you need bread machine recipes - I know that I have many and so do others here on RSN!

Kitchen Witch

Carrabbas Bread Dipping Sauce as published in the Houston Chronicle