MEDITERRANEAN BAKED FISH
This dish is baked and flavored with a Mediterranean-style tomato, onion, and garlic sauce to make it lower in fat and salt.
2 tsp olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes, drained (reserve juice) and coarsely chopped
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic, minced
1 C dry white wine
1/2 C reserved tomato juice, from canned tomatoes
1/4 C lemon juice
1/4 C orange juice
1 Tbsp fresh grated orange peel
1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
1/2 tsp dried basil, crushed
to taste black pepper
1 lb fish fillets (sole, flounder, or sea perch)
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet. Add onion, and saute over moderate heat 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add all remaining ingredients except fish.
- Stir well and simmer 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Arrange fish in 10x6-inch baking dish; cover with sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375Âº F about 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
Yield: 4 servings–Serving Size: 4 oz fillet with sauce
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 56 mg
Sodium: 281 mg