old fashioned home cooking

Creamy Baked Pork Chops

In skillet, borwn 4 pork chops, 1/2-inch thick on both sides. (Use ovenproof skillet for entire procedure, or transfer to casserole for baking.) Pour off drippings. Blend 1 can cream of celery soup and 1/3 cup water and pour over chops. Cover; bake at 350* for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Or, cream of vegetable, cream of mushroom or tomato soup.

Sausage and Succotash

1 lb. polish sausage
2 pkgs. frozen corn
2 pkgs. lima beans
2 T. butter or margarine
1/4 c. milk
Salt and pepper

Peel sausage, slice and bronw in butter. Add cooked corn, lima beans and milk. Heat a few minutes to blend flavors. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Roast Chicken with Bread Sauce

A hen is best for this purpose but a large fryer will do. Stuff with sausage meat well-seasoned with sage. Cover breast with strips of bacon; place in baking dish with plenty of drippings. One can cover the bird with aluminum foil for the first hour if desired. A moderate oven will do until bird is well-cooked.

In the same pan place a dozen or so small potatoes to raost, turning them once or twice when basting the bird. Garnish with parsley or watercress when served.

BREAD SAUCE: In a double-boiler put a good 2 cups of bread crumbs, 2 oz. butter, about 1 pint milk, several small whole onions, and a little nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook about 30 minutes. Serve over sliced roast chicken.

Note: Bread stuffing instead of sausage may be used. In this case, place small sausages around bird in roasting pan for last half hour.

Candied Apple Rings

Make syrup of 2 c. sugar and 1 c. water. Boil until is spins a thread. Pare and core 5 or 6 tart apples and cut into 1/2-inch rings or slices. Cook in syrup until apples are transparent. These apples are a delicious accompaniment for almost any meat.

Make colorful red or green apple rings by adding a few drops of red or green food coloring to syrup. Add cinnamon flavor to red apples, if desired, by adding 1/3 c. red cinnamon candies to syrup.

Sour String Beans

Use fresh string beans, washed and snapped, or 2 cans whole string beans. Cook fresh beans until tender or heat canned beans; add 4 medium white potatoes cut into quarters or eighths, and 3/4 c. vinegar. Do not add any more water. Meanwhile, saute 1 medium onion, chopped, in 2 T. vegetable oil. Add to beans and potatoes and cook 5 to 10 minutes longer.

Baked Corn

1 can cream style corn
2 eggs, well beaten
1 c. milk
2 T. flour
2 T. sugar
Pinch salt

Mix well above ingredients and bake at 350* approximately 1 hour.

Casserole Squash

2 lbs. squash
1 medium onion
2 eggs
1 c. bread crumbs
1 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1 stick butter

Cook squash and onion until tender. Drain partially. Mash squash and add 1/2 c. bread crumbs, sugar, salt, eggs and butter. Pour into casserole, add remaining crumbs, and dot with butter. Bake 30 minutes in 300* oven.

Potato au Gratin with Sausage

Make cheese sauce of 2 T. flour, 2 T. butter or margarine, 1 c. milk, 1/2 c. grated or cubed Cheddar cheese, 1/4 t. dry mustard, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over 2 c. sliced potatoes in greased casserole. Make small balls of 1/2 lb. pork sausage and add to potatoes and sauce. Bake uncovered in 350* oven about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until potatoes are tender and sausage is done.

Amish Lettuce Salad

1 medium head lettuce
2 hard boiled eggs
1/3 c. sour cream
1 T. sugar
3/4 t. salt
1 t. vinegar
1 small onion

Combine sour cream, whipped, with sugar, salt and vinegar in bowl and mix well. Cut in lettuce, thinly sliced onion rings and 1 of the eggs, sliced. Toss lightly. Slice other egg on top. Serves 4

Mud Hens

1/2 c. butter or shortening
1 c. sugar
1/2 t. salt
2 eggs (reserve 1 white for meringue)
1 1/2 c. sifted flour
1 t. baking powder
1 c. chopped nuts

Cream butter and sugar. Blend in other ingredients except nuts. Pour batter into pan and sprinkle nuts on top. Beat reserved egg white, gradually add 1 c. brown sugar, packed. Spread meringue over batter. Bake 30 minutes in moderate oven (325 - 350*).

KW:

Does your books have anything about Breaded Pork Tenderloin in it? We used to have breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches - the lettuce, tomatoes and I think mayo on them - would love a good pork tenderloin recipe! Another one I remember growing up on with steamed stuffed pork chops. Would love to have a recipe for that too. There are so many! Stuffed Peppers, Stuffed Cabbage, Porcipine Balls, oh yes and the dreaded Ham Loaf (not sure if I’d like that now that I am older or not but didn’t when I was young) LOL! If you come across any of the mentioned - would appreciate you posting them!

crissybird - I’m on a mission now! LOL!!! I am looking up the recipes for you - all done the old-fashioned way! I love the old cooking methods/recipes - when foods were prepared so that you could taste the real flavor of the food and not a ton of spices or a bottle of tabasco sauce drizzled over!

You mention the dreaded Ham Loaf - OMG! As I sit here enjoying a ham salad sandwich and I was thinking of making a Ham loaf this week!

Here we go - all posted as written:

Ham Loaf

1 1/2 lbs. ground veal
1 lb. ground ham
3/4 c. water or stock
1 egg, beaten
3 T. onion, chopped
1 1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 T. butter
2 T. hot water

1. Mix meat and bread crumbs.

2. Add stock, beaten egg and seasoning and mix thoroughly.

3. Pack into greased bread pan.

4. Bake 1 1/2 hours at 350*, basting occasionally with butter melted in hot water. This ham loaf may be steamed for 1 hour.

Ham Loaf

1 lb. ground ham
1 1/2 lbs. ground veal
2 eggs
1 c. cracker crumbs
1 c. milk
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
6 slicef pineapple
10 maraschino cherries

SAUCE:
3/4 c. brown sugar, packed
1 t. dry mustard
1/4 c. vinegar

Mix together the meat, slightly beaten eggs, cracker crumbs, milk, salt and pepper. Place the slices of pineapple with a maraschino cherry in the center of each slice in bottom of loaf pan. Combine the ingredients for the sauce and spread 1/2 the sauce over pineapple, next spread the meat, packing it in firmly. Spread remaining sauce over top of loaf. Bake 375* 1 1/2 to 2 hours. To serve, turn out on platter; garnish with parsley.
Good for sandwiches too.

Ham Loaf

Grind together:
1 lb. ham
1/2 lb. beef
1/2 lb. pork

Add:
1 c. bread, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
3/4 c. powdered milk
1/8 t. pepper
2 T. minced onion
1 egg, beaten
1 c. tomato juice

Mix well. Pack into a loaf pan. Bake 1 1/2 hours at 350*.

German Loaf

Cut off the fat from
1 lb. ham
Set the fat aside.

Grind the ham with
1 lb. fresh pork
1 clove garlic
1 small onion

Add
1 T. salt
1 t. pepper
2 t. curry powder
1 1/2 T. sage

Grind again

Add
1 egg white
1/2 c. cream

Mix thoroughly.

Put 4 strips of the ham fat on a square of cheescloth. Press the meat mixture into a loaf shape and place on the fat. Fold the cheesecloth tightly around the meat and tie firmly. Put on a trivet in a deep kettle.

Add
3 qts. boiling water
1/4 c. vinegar
1 t. salt

Cover and simmer 2 1/2 hours. Drain, cool, and press under a weight.

I think in the old fashioned books the stuffed cabbage was called Pigs in a Blanket - if I remember right. And sorry about the crack about the ham loaf, but I remember not liking it too well as a kid. I am going to give it a try again though - just to see if my tastes have changed since then. Oh geez, and I just thought of another one I didn’t like very much but my dad used to make. Remember the pickled eggs and beets? I did however like the pickled asparagus. So many of them it’s hard to remember them after all these years.

Stuffed Peppers

If the peppers are small, leave them whole and cut off a slice from the stem end. Cut large peppers in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and tough white membrane. Cook in boiling water 5 minutes and drain; sprinkle with salt. Cool.

Fill generously with any of the fillings suggested below. Cover with grated cheese or buttered breadcrumbs. Bake 15 minutes at 350*. Raise the temperature to 400* and bake until the tops are brown.

CORN FILLING: Use scraped or canned corn, sprinkle with salt and pepper.

CHEESE FILLING: Mix freshly grated Cheddar cheese with an equal amount of buttered bread crumbs. Season to taste with salt, pepper, paprika and chopped onion or onion salt.

CHICKEN, HAM OR VEAL FILLING: Chop cooked meat. Mix with an equal quantity of bread crumbs. Moisten with melted butter, concentrated tomato soup or consomme. Season to taste. Add chopped sauteed mushrooms if you like.

HAMBURG AND RICE FILLING: Saute in 2 T. butter 1 small onion, chopped, 1/2 lb. ground beef and 2 peeled and diced tomatoes (or 1/2 c. canned tomatoes). Add 1 c. cooked rice and season with salt and pepper.

Enough for 4 peppers.

Stuffed Peppers

Select 6 medium green sweet peppers. Cut caps off tips and remove seeds. Par-boil 10 minutes.

2 T. fat
1 T. flour
1 c. stock or milk
2 c. cooked rice
1 t. salt
1/4 red sweet pepper
1/4 green sweet pepper
1 t. lemon juice
2 T. onion, chopped
1 lb. veal, beef or chicken, cooked and cut fine
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

1. Melt fat in saucepan. Add flour and blend well.

2. Add remainder of ingredients.

3. Fill peppers. Place in a greased casserole. Bake uncovered 30 minutes at 300*.

Serves 6

Stuffed Peppers

6 green peppers
1 small onion, chopped
2 T. bacon or other fat
2 c. ham, chopped
**any leftover meat can be used
1 T. parsley, chopped
1 egg, beaten
1 t. salt
Dash pepper
1/2 c. bread crumbs

1. Cut top and remove seeds from peppers.

2. Parboil 5 minutes, Drain.

3. Brown onion in fat.

4. Mix ham, onion, parsely, egg, salt and pepper and bread crumbs.

5. Stuff peppers and top with crumbs.

6. Stand peppers upright in round roaster.

7. Add 1 c. water. Cover and bake 1 hour at 350*. Remove cover the last 15 minutes of the baking time.

Serves 6

Easy Stuffed Peppers

4 medium-sized green peppers
2 c. cooked leftover meat, ground
3/4 c. soft bread crumbs
1/2 t. salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 T. onion, finely minced
1 can condensed cream of tomato soup

Remove tops and seeds from peppers. Steam shells about 5 minutes. Combine remaining ingredients, using only 1/2 can soup. Mix well. Fill peppers. Place in shallow baking pan. Bake 30 minutes at 375*. Remove from oven and pour remaining half of soup over pepers. Return to oven and bake 15 minutes more.

If desired, substitute leftover rice for bread crumbs. Leftover dried cheese may be ground and used for part of meat. Any meat is excellent, but leftover ham scraps are particularly good.

When I make mine - I use ground chuck, rice (which I cook and cool first), eggs, bread crumbs, seasonings (like making meatloaf or meatbals) and I stuff "raw" peppers.  Cover with tomato soup or tomato sauce and cook until done.

Porcupine Beef Balls

1/2 c. uncooked rice
1 lb. ground beef
1 1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 c. canned tomatoes
3 T. butter or margarine
2 T. green pepper, chopped
3 T. onion, chopped
2 T. flour

Combine uncooked rice, round meat, salt, pepper and 1/4 c. tomatoes. Mix and form into 12 meat balls. Place in a greased casserole. Heat butter or margarine in skillet and lightly brown green pepper and onion. Blend in flour and add remaining tomatoes slowly. Cook until thickened. Pour over meatballs. Cover and bake at 375* 1 1/2 hours.

Beef Balls in Cabbage Leaves

6 large outer cabbage leaves
1 lb. ground beef
3 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 T. onion, chopped
1/2 c. cooked rice
1 c. tomato juice
1 medium-sized onion, sliced
2 T. sugar
2 T. vinegar

Scald cabbage leaves in boiling water, leavng them in water only long enough to soften them. Combine ground beef, 1 t. salt, pepper, chopped onion and rice. Form into 6 meatballs. Wrap each ball in a cabbage leaf and fasten edges with toothpicks. Place in skillet. Add tomato juice, sliced onion, remainder of salt, sugar and vinegar. Cover. Cook over high heat until steaming, then reduce heat to simmer. Serves 6

Breaded Pork Tenderloins

1 lb. pork tenderloins, cut into 4 portions, flattened
Salt and pepper
1 c. fine bread crumbs
2 eggs
1/4 c. milk
1/2 to 3/4 c. bacon drippings or other shortening
1/4 c. water or sherry

Season tenderloins with salt and pepper. Roll each in bread crumbs, dip in egg and milk (combined) and agin in bread crumbs. Fry slowly in fat. Brown on one side, then turn and brown the other side. When both sides are brown, add water or sherry. Cover skillet, reduce heat, and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Serves 4

Note: Because the connective tissue is apt to be stringy - for best results fry slowly until brownd and then steamed 30 to 40 minutes.

Pork Chops with Dressing

8 pork chops
4 c. bread, diced
2/3 c. celery, diced
1/2 c. onion, finely chopped
2 eggs, beaten
2 T. bacon fat
1/4 c. water
1 1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

1. Mix above ingredients. Pack into roasting pan.

2. Arrange seasoned chops on dressing.

3. Bake uncovered 1 1/4 hours at 350*, turning chops occasionally.

Serves 8

crissybird - I didn’t like ham loaf either when I was younger but I like it now. I guess tastes do change. When I make my Pigs in a Blanket - I use a basic meatloaf mixture - gournd chuck, cooked/cooked rice, seasonings, tomato sauce or soup and I fill blanched cabbage leaves, roll and place in baking dish. Cover with additional tomato soup or sauce and bake until done.

I’m still going through books - some of these recipes bring back so many memories!!!

Stuffed Pork Chops

Split 2-inch thick chops to the bone; stuff; press together lightly. Dip in crumbs, egg and crumbs. Arrange in shallow pan. Bake at 375* till done.

(Beat egg just enough to blend evenly. Add 2 T. water or oil - for browness use oil)
(For crumbs use crakers or bread crumbs - if using salted top crackers - watch your salt when cooking)

Bread Stuffing:

Mix lightly with a fork
4 c. dry bread crumbs
1/2 c. melted butter
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1 T. minced onion

Makes 4 c.

Savory bread stuffing: Season with sage, poultry seasoning or celery seed, or increase onion to as much as 3/4 c. In a highly seasoned dressing, try using bacon or sausage drippings or chicken fat in place of butter.

Variation: Add chopped chives, green pepper or pimiento, or leftovers, such as cooked meat or vegetables.

Apricot Stuffing: Omit the onion. Add 1 c. cooked apricots, cut in strips. Moisten with some of the water in which the apricots were cooked. Add 1/2 c. chopped celery.

Corn Bread Stuffing: Use dry corn bread for a third to half of the crumbs.

Corn Stuffing: Add to Corn Bread Stuffing 1 c. whole kernel corn.

Cranberry Stuffing: Chop 1 c. raw cranberries. Cook 5 minutes in the fat, stir in 1/4 c. sugar, and add to the dressing.

Fruit Stuffing: Cut in small pieces fruit such as pineapple, mixed fruit cocktail, apricots, peaches, prunes or oranges. Add to plain stuffing and season to taste. For a richer stuffing, chopped pecans, peanuts or other nuts.

Giblet Stuffing: Simmer the giblets in water until tender. Drain, reseving the broth, chop. Add to the stuffing. Moisten with a little of the broth.

Herb Stuffing: Add thyme, sweet basil, summer savory or marjoram (1 T. fresh of 1 t. dry). Cut fresh herbs with scissors.

Mushroom Stuffing: For each cup of crumbs, add 1/2 c. chopped mushrooms, cooked 5 minutes in butter. Uf you like, add nutmeg to taste, or shopped parsley or chives.

Onion Stuffing: Parboil 6 onions 10 minutes. Drain. Chop fine. Add to dressing with 1 egg slightly beaten.

Parsley Stuffing: Add 1/4 to 1/2 c. finely cut parsley. Cooked parsley is more delicate in flavor than uncooked, so put in plenty.

Apple Stuffing

Put in saucepan
4 t. bacon fat
2 c. diced tart apples (unpeeled)
2 t. sugar
Cook 5 minutes.

Add
1/2 c. dry bread crumbs
Salt, nutmeg and cinnamon to taste

Makes about 2 c.

Celery Stuffing

Put in a saucepan
2 t. butter
1/2 c. chopped celery
2 T. minced onion
2 T. chopped parsley
Coook 3 minutes

Add
2 c. fine bread crumbs
1/4 t. savory seasoning
1/4 t. celery seed
1/2 t. salt
Pinch pepper

Sausage Stuffing

Cook and stir until brown
1 lb. sausage meat

Add
12 c. dry bread crumbs cubes (1/4-inch)
2 T. minced onion
Salt to taste
1 t. pepper
2 T. minced parsley

Makes 12 c.

To steam - cook on a rack over boiling water in in double boiler over boiling water. Do not have the water deep enough to touch the bottom of the upper pan.

Pickled Beets and Eggs

Kitchen Witch’s cheating version (time saver) - I would make these every Easter.

Buy pickled beets in a jar - whole or sliced - and transfer to larger glass jar or bowl; add hard-cooked eggs (leave whole) and make sure everything is covered with the juice from the beets. Cover and let sit 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator and your eggs will be pickled.

Pickled Beets

Slice cooked beets (wash, cut off all but 1-inch of the top and leave the root end on, cover with water, cook until tender; drain, drop into cold water and peel off skins; slice) and cover with mild cider vinegar or 1 c. vinegar boiled 5 minutes with 1/2 c. sugar. Add a few caraway seeds for extra zest. Serve warm or cold.

Pickled Beets

Cook until tender
4 bunches young beets
Plunge into cold water and slip off the skins. Leave tiny beets whole. Slice the larger ones.

Mix in saucepan
1 qt. mild vinegar
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 t. allspice berries
1 stick cinnamon
1 t. whole cloves

Add the beets. Simmer 15 minutes. Pack into clean hot jars. Fill with hot syrup. Put on tops. Process 20 minutes in boiling water bath.

Savory Stuffed Cabbage

1 lb. cooked meat (lamb, beef, pork, etc)
2 c. cooked rice
1 egg
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 head cabbage (about 3 1/2 lbs.)
2 T. butter or margarine
1 large onion, chopped (1 c)
2 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. water

Combine meat, rice, egg, garlic, salt, pepper and 2/3 c., tomato sauce; mix well. Trim outside leaves from cabbage. Cut a small slice about 3 inches in diameter from top end; set aside. With a sharp-tip knife and hands hollow out cabbage leaving a shell about 1/2-inch thick. Chop cut out pieces of cabbage and cook separately to serve along with stuffed cabbage or save to cook as a vegetable for another day.

Press filling into shell pressing firmly; fit top back in place; tie with a string.

Saute onion in hot butter or margarine until soft, about 5 minutes; add remaining sauce, sugar, salt and water; bring to boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Place cabbage, core side down in deep casserole or Dutch oven; pour sauce over; cover. If cabbage is too high for cover use foil.

Bake at 350*, basting 2 or 3 times with sauce, 1 1/2 hours.

Remove string; spoon sauce over, cut into wedges to serve.

HAM LOAF

1 pound cured ham, ground
1 pound fresh pork, ground (not sausage)
2 eggs
2/3 cup cracker crumbs
1/3 cup minute tapioca
1½ cup milk
¼ cup vinegar
½ cup water
½ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Mix first six ingredients and form into a loaf. Make dressing from the last four ingredients by boiling together for a few minutes. Pour over loaf and bake in a moderate oven (350°) for two hours, basting occasionally. Dressing should become thick and syrupy. Also good served cold or in sandwich.

Pickled Asparagus

1 medium onion, thinly sliced
4 lbs fresh asparagus
1 red bell pepper, seeded,and cut into thin strips
5 cups white wine vinegar
2 cups water (distilled bottled if possible)
4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons pickling spices
2 teaspoons pickling salt or kosher salt

1. Place several slices of onion in the bottom of two 1-quart jars.
  2. Trim the asparagus to fit in the jars; pack them in with the cut-end facing down.
  3. Place the pepper strips in between asparagus.
  4. Combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan, and boil over moderate heat for 10 minutes.
  5. Pour into the jars, leaving 1/2-inch head space.
  6. Seal the jars according to the manufacturer’s directions; process for 20 minutes in boiling water bath.

Thanks so much for all the wonderful recipes and memories. If you give me a while - I am sure I can come up with more. LOL - my two favorite things are old fashioned recipes and restaurant recipes. I live in the country and the closest Olive Garden or Red Lobster is over 40 miles from here. So I enjoy the restaurant recipes as much. But I love the recipes and food I grew up on too. Those are recipes I have in my own books that will never be forgotten. One thing I do remember is that my step mother was Polish - and at Xmas time she used to make the best pasteries I have ever eaten. My dad was German - thus alot of the german foods that I love. My mother - well she was English and Welsh - not much there except maybe scones - but she did have some great ideas for cooking - as she grew up in Pennsylvania Dutch Country. Funny but my mother always made me think she should have been a Southern Belle instead - and how much she enjoyed the Southern way of cooking. My step father - well he is Greek - thus my taste for Greek cooking. I guess, well, growing up, I had the best of all worlds. Rolled into one. Thanks for the great recipes - I look forward to getting more from you!