Really good chicken/turkey shish-ka-bobs

These shisk-ka-bobs are very easy to make and so delicious. I used to make them a lot a few years ago and will again this year. It’s one of those recipes that is “by eye”.

You can use turkey or chicken. Go to your big grocery store butcher and ask him/her for porketta spice. It has peppercorns (whole and crushed), garlic powder, fennel seeds, and not sure what else). Make sure it’s the real porketta spice, some try to give you just crushed peppercorns and garlic & onion powder - that will not do. I’ve tried to make my own porketta spice, but it didn’t work out either. Not sure why, but the spice is better when its obtained wherever they make porkettas.

Cut your chicken into cubes and sprinkle some porketta spice all over them and let marinade for 4 to 6 hours. Put them on those thick wooden skewers, roll into unseasoned flour, then into beaten egg, then into plain breadcrumbs.

In skillet, put some vegetable or canola oil (about 1/2 inch thick). You have two ways that you can cook these kabobs. One: brown kabobs on all sides until cooked all the way through but not dry. Two: brown kabobs on all sides and put them on baking sheet, loosely covered with foil so they don’t dry out too much, and finish them off in the oven. Check them so they don’t dry out…maybe 15 minutes or so. Then… ready to serve!

As an example… 2 cups cubed chicken plus 1-1/2 to 2 tbsp of porketta spice.

If you are going to freeze them, slightly undercook them then freeze. To serve, let thaw and then reheat in oven. Because they were slightly undercooked, they won’t dry out as much. Just loosely cover them with foil.

These are really good! You can bet that people will be asking you for the recipe. Hope you enjoy. :smiley: