Share the recipe for your favorite homemade dish

Every good cook has one recipe which he/she loves to make. I’m talking about that “go to” recipe that always gets rave reviews from family and friends.

Please share that recipe with our community. If everybody contributes, we can all get some really great recipes from this post :slight_smile: .

I’ll start it off with one of my favorite dishes -

Peach Cobbler

6 cups sliced ripe peaches
2 cups brown sugar
2-4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup butter
pastry for double crust pie

In a Dutch oven, combine first 4 ingredients. Set aside until syrup forms.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, simmer for 10 minutes or until tender.

Add vanilla & butter, stirring until butter melts.

Roll half of pastry to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into an 8 inch square. Spoon half of peach mixture into an 8 inch square pan (deep). Place pastry layer on top. Bake at 475 for 10-12 or until lightly browned.

Roll out remaining pastry and cut into strips. Pour remaining peach mixture on top and criss-cross pastry strips on top of peaches.

Bake at 475 for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned.

Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy.

Mum’s Apricot Cheesecake Recipe

Base

155 grams plain bickies crushed
75g butter

Combine finely crushed bickie crumbs & butter mix well
Press mixture firmly onto base of dish
Refrigerate for 1 hour

Filling

470 gram can apricot nectar (big can
1 tablespoon gelatin
375 grams of cream cheese (
¼ cup caster sugar
1 tble spoon lemon juice extra
1 & ¼ cup of whipped cream

Measure 1 cup of nectar (rest for topping
Pour nectar into small saucepan sprinkle gelatin over place on low heat & stir until gelatin dissolves (no crystals left)
Allow to cool & thicken slightly don’t use hot
Beat softened cream cheese & sugar until smooth & creamy add lemon juice
Beat in apricot gelatin mixture then fold in the whipped cream gently
Then pour this mixture into crumb base then refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm

Topping

1 tble spoon sugar
3 teaspoons of corn flour
Into a saucepan stir in the remaining apricot nectar bring mixture to boil & stir constantly
Once it boils it will thicken as it starts to thicken it will get stripes through it when it comes to a boil it will get the glossy & orange the thicker u want the more c flour
Once thickened take off the heat let it cool a little then add brandy continue stirring for a couple of minutes
Spread over top of set cheesecake
Refrigerate until top set.

Enjoy! :lol:

King Ranch Casserole

1 Fryer 
 1 (103/4 oz) Cream of Mushroom Soup
 1 (101/4 oz)  Cream of Chicken Soup 
 1 (10 oz)  Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
 1 Soup can of chicken broth 
 1 Dozen Corn tortillas cut into quarters
 1 Onion Chopped
 2 cups cheese grated 

Place the fryer in a large pot with enough water to cover. Add salt,pepper,cummin,garlic, parsley,onion,and chili power(add to taste)
Cover and boil until tender. Debone chicken.
To make a sauce blend until smooth the two soups,the rotel tomatoes(it you can not find them use chopped tomatoes and add some chopped peppers.)
Grease a 21/2 quart casserole and begin layering chicken, 1/2 of tortillas,1/2 of the onion,1/2 of the cheese,and 1/2 of the sauce. Continue ending with the cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 for one hour.
It is great to put in slow cooker and come home and just have to put it together. Much easier then it sounds and worth the time.

Harvest Potatoes

32 oz. frozen Hash Browns, thawed (not the shredded ones)
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
8 oz. Sour Cream
8 oz. Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 medium onion, diced

Combine in greased 9 x 13 pan. Top with topping. Bake 350 degrees 45 min., cover lightly when topping starts to brown.

Topping:
2 cups Corn Flakes, crushed
1/4 cup Margarine, melted

[b]STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE

ANGEL FOOD CAKE MIX OR JUST BUY ONE FROM THE BAKERY (Plain), Not the loaf, the CAKE!

1 plain Angel Food Cake
16 oz. fat free Cool Whip
1 (Lg) basket Fresh Strawberries

Directions: Make sure cake is cool, divide cake into half, I use my bread knife for this. and apply one coat of cool whip. Then slice strawberries and arrange closely together around cake. Top with the 2nd layer of angel food cake, and frost with rest of cool whip. Slice strawberries in half and arrange on top of cake for a nice decoration. Also slice strawberries, very thin and arrange all around the base of cake.

This is an easy Desert, and everyone loves it!!![/b]

Martha Dibblee’s Apple Pie
copyright martha g dibblee
dibblee@hevanet.com

Crust:

9 oz Crisco vegetable shortening
12 oz bread flour
1/4 cup cold tap water
about 1 tsp sea salt
about 2 Tbsp regular granulated sugar

I use the Cuisinart. First I pulse a few times to mix the flour & sugar & salt. Then I add the shortening & pulse about 10 times. Then add the water & pulse until it forms a loose ball, about 15-20 times.

Tear two rectangular sheets of waxed paper. Place one piece of waxed paper on the counter in a position wider than it’s tall. Dump dough onto waxed paper. Form into a ball. Cut in half for a 2-crust pie, which is what this dough volume will make. Put one half aside. Make the other half into a ball & splat onto the wide piece of waxed paper. Flatten a to about 1". Cover w/ 2nd pc waxed paper placed so that it’s taller than wide. Roll w/ rolling pin in a counterclockwise direction until the dough reaches the uncut edges of the waxed paper. Turn paper about 1/16th of a turn each time as you roll. ROLL ONLY IN a counterclockwise direction, turning each time. When dough reaches the uncut edges of the waxed paper, it’s the correct size. Carefully peel off the top waxed paper. Replace. Turn dough over. Carefully peel off waxed paper. Carefully grasp two diagonal corners of the wax paper & lift so the dough folds in half. Lay the dough in the pie plate – preferably Pyrex 10" fluted pie plate – dough side down, first the dough half nearest you, then lay the other half down, & peel off the waxed paper. Fit & trim crust as needed. Prepare the sugar mix (1/2++ cup sugar, 1/3 tsp cinn, 1 tsp flour). Sprinkle the crust bottom w/ about 3 tbsp of the sugar-cinnamon-flour mixture . Fill w/ apples (3 lg Jonagold & 3 lg Granny Smith) cut in 1/8ths. Sprinkle remaining flour-sugar-cinn mixture over apples. Place three 1-tbsp pieces of real butter on top of mound of apples. Top w/ prepared crust, using waxed paper to lift the crust the same way as for the bottom crust. Seal crusts but don’t use water to seal. Make 5 slits in the crust top for ventillation. Pour approx. 1/3 c white granulated sugar all over top crust from a sugar shaker. Bake in preheated 350 deg convection oven until done, about an hour & a half, depending on apples. To test for doneness, poke apples w/ a long bamboo skewer. Apples must not offer any resistance but at the same time should not be mushy. For protection against drips, place a cookie sheet lined w/ a silpat on the rack under the pie. DO NOT put pie plate on silpat or in cookie sheet. Cool for an hour, serve w/ice cream.

I liked this dish alot its really delicious.
Grilled vegetables:

any vegtebales you have: carrots, zucchini, green - red bell pepper, -Broccoli - Cauliflower - frozen corn

3 table spoon melted butter

spices: paprika - black pepper - salt - oregano - 1 table spoon olive oil

Method:
1- mix (spices + 1 tea spoon of melted butter).
2- after cleaning the vegetables very good cut them into slices or as you like. except the corn just cut in half if it is big size and the broccoli- cauliflower into florets.
3- mix the vegtables with the sauce in step 1 very well.
4- cook the vegtables on steamer for just 7 - 10 minutes.
5- minewhile mix the rest of the melted butter with minced black pepper.
6- prepare the grill and put the vegtables on them and from time to time grease them using a brush with the butter and black pepper mixture.
and turn them from one side to another.

its really easy and doesn’t take any time … hope you well like it.

Pork Chops & Vegetables

pork chops with bone in (use as many as you need)
3/4 c long grain rice
1 can stewed tomatoes
1/2 c chopped onions
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 cup corn
garlic to taste
1/2 tsp thyme
Trim fat and cook in skillet. Remove fat & leave grease, won’t be much.
Brown Pork chops, remove to plate, saute onions, then add rice, tomatoes, & 3/4 can of water, corn, garlic, thyme, and replace chops on top of veg. Cover, and simmer about 30 min or un
til rice is done.

Bananna Bread

4 Cup of Sugar
2 Tsp. of Baking Soda
8 Cups of ALL POURPOSE FLOUR
4 Tsp. of Baking Powder
2 Tsp. of Salt
4 Sticks of Margrine
8 Eggs
8 Over Ripe Banannas

DIRECTIONS:

PREHEAT OVEN to 350 Degres
Mix the Sugar, Flour, and Margrine together in Large Bowl continue to add eggs, Baking Powder,
Baking Soda and Salt and Banannas. Mix together until all blended Well.
Grease the bottom of the mini bread pans.

Cook Bread at 350 Degres for 25 Minutes or until golden brown.

CHICKEN-n-DUMPLINGS

10 Pieces of chicken legs cleaned (NOT SKINNED)

2 Chicken Boulon Cubes

1 Lg. or Family Sz. Can of Campbells Cream of Chicken Soup

2 Pks. of Kettle Dumplings (break dumplings into 3parts before placing in water)

Salt and Peper to taste

DIRECTIONS:

Cook chicken for 5-6 hours over medium heat and then remove chicken from water and debone
(DO NOT DRAIN WATER)

Raise heat to medium high and place soup in water stir well.

Place dumplings in water and then place deboned chicken in water cook until desired consistancy.

GARLIC SAUCE for Hot Grilled or Roasted Vegetables

I ‘discovered’ this sauce in a book loaned to me by a precious friend.
Enjoy - it is really different but extremely yum!

GARLIC SAUCE:
1-2 cloves Garlic, crushed
1/2 cup Light Sour Cream
2 tspns English Mustard
1 tblsp Hot water

Mix all ingredients together, and serve with hot grilled/roasted vegetables.

Gratin Potatoes

Oven Temp – 400 degrees

Butter 9 X 13 pan

Peel and thinly slice 6 – 8 BAKING potatoes

Place in buttered pan

In a bowl pour 1 quart of whipping cream

Salt and pepper (2 tsps each)

3 cloves MINCED garlic

Stir and pour over potatoes.

Bake @ 400 degrees for 50 - 60 minutes

I used 8 LARGE baking potatoes and 1 quart and a pint of the whipping cream (I had the pint because I was going to whip it up for a dessert I never made. In the end I had two --9 X 13 size pans.

Chicken Satay Recipe picked up from Chef in Kuala Lumpar in Malaysia…Perfect for the coming Summer Bar B Que evenings…and all my friends beg me to make this every time…

Ingredients

2 Chicken Breasts (Skinned & Boned)

Marinade:
4 tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp fresh coriander
1 tbsp caster sugar
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 red or green chilli, deseeded.
Salt & Pepper

Sauce:
2 tbsp oil
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 red or green chilli, deseeded and chopped.
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
8 tbsp peanut butter
8 tbsp chicken stock or water
1 tbsp block coconut

Instructions:

1. Soak 8 wooden skewers in a large shallow dish of cold water for at least 30 minutes. This will prevent the skewers from burning on the hot grill.

2. Cut the chicken lengthwise into 8 long strips. Thread the strips of chicken, concertina style, onto skewers and set them aside while you make marinade.

3. Place ingredients for marinade in a food processor and process until smooth.

4. Coat the chicken with marinade and leave to chill for at least 2 hours.

5. To make sauce, heat oil in a small pan and fry onion and chilli until they are softened but not browned. Stir in the spices and cook for one minute. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and cook mixture gently for 5 minutes. Keep warm.

6. Barbecue(Grill) chicken skewers for about 10 minutes, basting with any remaining marinade.

Serve with sauce immediately.

Beef and Cheese Casserole

A wonderful and tasty dish your family and friends will love!! :smiley:

4 cups large pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 - 4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 can (10 oz.) tomato soup
1 can (10 oz.) cream of mushroom soup
1 can (7 1/2 oz.) tomato sauce
Salt and pepper
2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and put in a large casserole dish.

Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add garlic, onion, celery, mushrooms, and green pepper. Cook and stir until vegetables are soft. Remove from heat and add to casserole dish.

Add ground beef to the frying pan and cook and stir until browned. (If you have a large enough frying pan you can cook the vegetables and ground beef together.) Drain fat and add ground beef to the casserole dish.

Add soups and tomato sauce to the casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper.

Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese to the casserole. Mix all together to blend.

Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove cover for the last few minutes to melt the cheese if necessary. Makes 8 servings.

Lemon Bundt cake

Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour a 10 inch bundt pan.

1 package lemon cake mix
1 (3.4 oz.) package instant lemon pudding mix
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs
1 cup 7-up or other lemon lime soda

In a large bowl, combine cake mix and pudding mix.
Stir in oil. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in soda.
Pour batter into prepared pan. bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Allow to cool. Remove from pan.

Easiest Chicken

Boneless skinless chicken breast
Italian dressing
Provalone cheese sliced
Italian bread crumbs
toothpicks

I like to marinate the chicken but that is not necessary.

Pound chicken out with meat tenderizer (sp?) Dip in Italian dressing place sliced cheese on chicken and roll up put toothpick in the hold the roll. Place in dish bake at 350-375 until done usually 30 min.

This is fast easy and great. I can get hubby to do anything if I make this for him! :wink:

NEIMAN-MARCUS COOKIES

2 cups butter
24 oz chocolate chips
4 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsb. soda
1 tsb. salt
2 cups sugar
1-8oz Hershey Bar (grated)
5 cups blended oatmeal
4 eggs
2 tsb. baking powder
2 tsb. vanilla
3 cups chopped nut (your choice)

Measure oatmeal and blend in blender to fine powder
          Cream the butter and both sugars
          Add eggs and vanilla mix together flour oatmeal salt    
          baking powder and soda.
          Add choclate bar and nut's
           Roll into Ball's and place two inches apart on cookie 
           Sheet.
           Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degress Makes 112 Cookies

Easy, Tasty Meat Loaf

Anyone like ‘meatloaf’? This is a good one…hope you enjoy it too :smiley:

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 (16-oz.) can tomato sauce divided
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped peeled onion
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a large bowl, mix together ground beef, half the tomato sauce, bread crumbs, onion, egg, salt and pepper. Shape into a loaf and place in a 9x5x3-inch pan. Combine remaining tomato sauce, water, brown sugar and cider vinegar; pour over meatloaf. Bake for 1 hour and serve warm.