Snowy-Day Beef Stew
(makes 8 servings)
1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 large cloves garlic, minced
6 scallions, white part and 1 inch (2.5 cm) green, thinly sliced
12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 pounds (960 g) lean beef top round, trimmed of all fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons (18 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) crushed dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) crushed dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) crushed dried rosemary
1 28-ounce (720 g) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
3 to 4 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, or to taste, minced
2 cups (480 ml) reduced-sodium canned beef broth
1/2 cup (120 ml) dry red wine
1 10-ounce (300 g) bag frozen peas
2 tablespoons (8 g) chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion, garlic, scallions, and mushrooms. SautÃ©, stirring often, until vegetables are wilted and most of the liquid is absorbed. Using a slotted spoon transfer vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
- Dredge the steak cubes with flour, thyme, oregano, and rosemary. Lightly coat the skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add steak pieces and brown on all sides, about 6 minutes total cooking time.
- Transfer steak and reserved vegetables to a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Top with stewed tomatoes, chipotle chiles, beef broth, and wine. Stir to combine. Partially cover and simmer for about 1 hour, until steak is tender.
- Stir in peas and cook, covered, until peas are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- If using, sprinkle with parsley and serve hot.
Per serving: 259 calories (22% calories from fat), 32 g protein, 6 g total fat (1.7 g saturated fat), 16 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 71 g cholesterol, 135 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean protein (1/2 bread/starch, 2 vegetable)