Type of olive oil

Anyone know when should we use olive oil (extra virgin) and the normal type. I heard it is bad for health if u use the wrong oil during cooking.

Vinz

It is not bad for your health to use either, but, as a rule, I use extra virgin when it will not be cooked and pure olive oil for cooking, but you can use either one. It’s just a matter of cost.

Extra virgin, non-vegetable, just the best olive oil. 100% pure, cold-pressed, like Mastro, Bertolli, Crisco, Brachia and deCocco.

Idvkeyes wrote . . .
“It is not bad for your health to use either, but, as a rule, I use extra virgin when it will not be cooked and pure olive oil for cooking, but you can use either one. It’s just a matter of cost.”

Apparently it’s not just a matter of cost when it comes to using Extra Virgin Olive Oil for roasting or grilling (high temps). The residual solids in cold-pressed olive oil (EV) burn at high temps and create carcinogenic compounds. DG

Dessertguy, what is your source of information? I would like to read more about it.

I’ve read some really good stuff on all different types of oil on this forum.
Broadly speaking use Extra Virgin for salads (or don’t heat it as it is too delicate and will burn). Use Olive Oil for frying and sauces. It won’t harm you if you do use Extra Virgin to cook but will probably just be a bit bitter if it is burnt.

I posted this word for word back in August 2009. Are you psychic or a plagiarist?

In order to use olive oil safely and avoid creating carcinogens you need to know the smoking point.

Unrefined, virgin and extra virgin olive oil is best to be used in any type of cooking except frying and high-temperature baking. Usually, it is cold-pressed, and has that distinct olive aroma that is created by small particles of olives that were not removed. Because of them, it has a low smoking point, and it can burn and create carcinogens if you use it on a hot pan . Add it to salads, dressings, and dips.

Light olive oil is used for frying as its smoke point is higher.

If olive oil ever burns, get rid of it and wash the pan before using again.

Smoke points of different types of olive oil:

Olive oil Extra virgin 375°F 191°C
Olive oil Virgin 420°F 216°C
Olive oil Extra light 468°F 242°C
Olive oil, high quality (low acidity) Extra virgin 405°F 207°C

Hi

Olive oil is an oil obtained from the olive (Olea europaea; family Oleaceae), a traditional tree crop of the Mediterranean Basin. It is commonly used in cooking, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and soaps and as a fuel for traditional oil lamps. Olive oil is used throughout the world, but especially in the Mediterranean countries.

thanks

Still more spam

I cook with extra virgin olive oil all the time and it never burns. What makes it extra virgin is it is from the first cold pressing of the olives. That means it is the best oil and is not more susceptible to burning.

Updated link:
https://www.recipesecrets.net/t/oil-butters-and-fats/219380
RSN

I usually use olive oil in my diet recipes as well as 3 to 4 drops for my hair massage . it suits my hair.