Whats for dinner tonight?

Whats for dinner tonight?
I’m still thinking what to cook for the dinner. If u have good yellow squash recipe pls send it to me. I’ve never tried it before.

=====================

Darn, wish I had seen your post earlier. Here is one of my favorite ways to cook yellow squash:

cut yellow squash in half lengthwise and steam until desired tenderness ( I like to leave a little “bite” to mine, don’t want them mushy)
cool until they can be handled comfortably and scoop out insides
mix the scooped out pulp with crushed Ritz crackers, butter, sauteed onions, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper
fill squash with this mixture and sprinkle with cheddar cheese
bake at 350 until cheese melts

sometimes I prefer to sprinkle with parmesan cheese - there’s so many ways to stuff this squash, just use your imagination! This is a great dish with a side of asparagus and meat of your liking. :slight_smile:

Well, I had no idea what to cook tonight and now I do!! :grin:

Not just the yellow squash!! :lol: I wanted to have an interesting tasting veg as a side dish to grilled chicken and I’m bored with grilled veggies. Maybe some of you can share more great ideas for me to surprise my family with. (Please)

Oh yes, not just yellow squash! I’ve done the same with zucchini and tomatoes. I didn’t steam the tomatoes before hand, of course, but they made a great side dish.

I get out of class early today, so I’m making beef-a-roni for us, salad and garlic bread. I think I’ve heard this called something like American Chop Suey? (I may have spelled that wrong) Anyway, it’s one of my favorites and I love to put lots of shredded cheddar on top. Not heart healthy, I suppose, but my tastebuds sure do like it. :lol:

Thank you so much, my family adored the squash. I added a little chopped fried bacon for flavour and crumbed cheese biscuits. They think it was cool. :cool: I’ll try your next suggestion and let you know. You rock!

You’re most welcome! Yum, on adding the bacon - I’m going to try that next time and what a great idea. Heck, just might add that to a meal this weekend.

I baked homemade bread earlier today!
For dinner we’re having Marinated Ranch Broiled Chicken (a recipe I found on All Recipes), fresh corn on the cob, and steamed broccoli. Oh, and homemade bread.:smiley:

For lunch today I made myself a stuffed squashed and used Corlia’s suggestion of adding the bacon - delish! I had a side of sliced cukes in Italian dressing.

DS will be home for dinner, so we are having burgers on the grill with all the fixings - lettuce, tomato, cheese, pickles and onion. I’ll open a bag of Ruffles and dip and pour us some sweet ice tea. Perfect meal while we watch the race tonight.

I adore fresh baked bread! Bet your house smelled fantastic.

Hi Quiche Me

I’m glad you liked the bacon added to your stunning recipe - my daughter was just asking yesterday when I’ll be making it again:!:

And ttsnona, I admire you for baking your own bread! The closest I get to that is buying fresh dough and bake it at home, sometimes in a Dutch Oven, or baking little breadrolls, or doing little flat breads on the bbq or deep frying it in oil. (When it’s deep fried, we call it “vetkoek” or “fat cakes” and fill it with “bobotie” which is a sweeter version of curried mince. Yum!) If you’re interested I can forward our traditional South African recipe to you:-) I don’t want to be too forward by just adding it.

That S. African recipe sounds good. Please post it. I agree nothing like fresh home baked bread. We bake two loaves every week.

Hi Quiche Me

I’m glad you liked the bacon added to your stunning recipe - my daughter was just asking yesterday when I’ll be making it again:!:

And ttsnona, I admire you for baking your own bread! The closest I get to that is buying fresh dough and bake it at home, sometimes in a Dutch Oven, or baking little breadrolls, or doing little flat breads on the bbq or deep frying it in oil. (When it’s deep fried, we call it “vetkoek” or “fat cakes” and fill it with “bobotie” which is a sweeter version of curried mince. Yum!) If you’re interested I can forward our traditional South African recipe to you:-) I don’t want to be too forward by just adding it.

Thank you, I’ll post it a little later today!

I realise now that you are waiting for our bread recipe, and I was actually referring to our Bobotie recipe - never mind.:lol: don’t forget, I admire you people for preparing the dough for your homemade bread. We have an excellent bakery down the road and I buy dough from them and bake whatever type of bread I fancy that day!

No, the Bobotie is the recipe I was asking for.

This is for lvdkeyes;) Try it, modernise it and give it back for me to try and I’ll pass it on to other South Africans! (You’re the chef, remember!!)

Traditional South African Bobotie, passed on by my grandmother. (originally from Malayan influence brought to South Africa)

1kg minced beef
2 chopped onions
1 slice of bread
1 cup of milk
2 eggs
1 t sugar
2t salt
⅟2 t pepper
3 table spoons fruit chutney
1t turmeric
2t curry powder
5t lemon juice
⅟2 cup seedless raisons
4 bay or lemon leaves

Fry onions and mince till loose. Soak bread in milk and squeeze out milk. Mix all the ingredients except one egg, ⅟2 cup of milk and bay/lemon leaves. Place mixture in greased ovenproof dish. Push leaves upright in mixture. Bake at 180˚ for 1 hour. Mix 2nd egg and ⅟2 cup of milk and pour over mixture after 30 minutes. Complete baking process. Serve with saffron rice and chutney.

Corlia, your Bobotie sounds delicious! Hate to ask a stupid question, but is it like meatloaf? Whatever it is, it’s made my mouth water, lol.

The weather is getting somewhat cooler here, so it’s time for some homemade veggie soup for me. That and cornbread or muffins and I’m set! Of course DS wants some sort of meat in his soup, so I’ll add some beef to his and let it simmer for a while.

Hope everyone has had a most pleasant day!

Is that 3 teaspoons of fruit chutney? It seems like a small amount.