What's for Dinner

How about blackened catfish, spicy fries, coleslaw and hush puppies?

This can sometimes be a lot of work but is well worth it. The blackened catfish can be made a variety of ways, but the one below is a family favorite. It may smoke up your kitchen so open a window, turn on the fan or cook on the grill (healthier) outside. Can also use a cast iron pan on the grill to fry it.

Blackened Catfish

4 catfish fillets
olive oil
1/3 lb. bacon
2 teaspoons each of the following:
garlic powder
thyme
white pepper
black pepper
cayenne pepper
lemon pepper
cumin or chili powder
rosemary, crushed
fennel seed, crushed
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon salt

Fry bacon (save for later use) and keep the grease. Combine all dry ingredients, rub fillets with olive oil, then coat liberally with spices. Drop in hot bacon grease (if not enough, add olive oil to desired depth) and cook until you can easily put a fork through them. Serves 4 normal or two very hungry people.

Spicy Fries

1 (16 oz) pkg frozen french fry potatoes
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp each salt & black pepper
Nonstick spray

Mix spices together combining well. Coat frozen fries with nonstick spray and sprinkle spice mix over them; tossing well to evenly distribute spice mixture. Bake in a 375 degree oven until golden brown or as directed on package. May also deep or pan fry.

Coleslaw

1 lg head cabbage, shredded
2 lg carrots, shredded
1/4 cup minced onion
1 cup salad dressing (Miracle Whip)
1/8 cup sugar (1/4 cup if using mayo instead of salad dressing)
Salt/pepper to taste

Hush Puppies

2 1/2 cups yellow corn meal
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup minced onion
1 tsp red pepper flakes or 1/2 finely chopped jalapeno
1 egg, beaten
2 cups buttermilk
oil for deep frying

Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl; whisk milk and egg together and combine with dry ingredients; batter should hold its shape when picked up with a spoon. Let sit for five minutes. If batter is too soft, add more cornmeal until it is firm enough to hold shape. Drop 3 to 4 at a time by tablespoon into 350° oil and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes, turning several times. Drain on paper towels. Allow oil to heat a few seconds before frying the next batch.

That sounds delicious. I may thr it this weekend. I’m getting hungry just thinking about it. :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Ron

While your dinner does sound delicious, it also sounds like a lot of work. I don’t know about you, but at the end of my day I want something nutritional and healthy, but quick and easy to prepare. The other day I was watching Rachael Ray prepare one of the 30-minute meals she is so famous for. Line a cookie sheet with foil. Arrange fingerling potatoes and chopped onions and peppers on the sheetpan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Put them in the oven to roast. In the meantime, coat boneless chicken breasts with shredded Parmesan cheese and pan fry in butter. She made a mocha frappe for dessert, but I need that like a whole in the head! Enjoy:)

That really sounds great.Hey, thanks–I’ve been looking for a good recipe for hush puppies.
Tonight my son and I are having green enchiladas. It’s a staple here in New Mexico. Here’s my recipe, or at least how I make them.
6-8 corn tortillas
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 lb. ground meat (I’m using oryx)
2 cups grated cheese(a mixture of cheddar and asadero or Monterrey Jack is best)
Brown ground meat with onion, salt and pepper, and oh yeah, garlic.
In another skillet, fry tortillas in hot oil until soft. Drain
Stack tortillas, ground meat, and cheese in alternating layers in a baking pan. Pour one large can green enchilada sauce (we use Las Palmas or Hatch) over the whole thing. Bake at 375* for about 25 min.
Serve with a salad, salsa, and warm flour tortillas. If you have a pot of beans cooked, that’s even better. Maybe some avocado and sour cream, too.

Yum! Thank you for that easy recipe – I’ve never tried enchiladas that way! Gotta give that a shot… :smiley:

b]When I’m stuck for ideas, I fall back on baked potatoes. I top them with hamburger I’ve browned with onions, and some microwaved frozen chopped broccoli and then some cheese–either cheddar or grated parmesean. [/b]

flank steak marinaded in orange french dressing overnite. tenderize well.
Heat grill to high.Sear on each side. Turn down flame and cook to what ever doneness you prefer.
Slice on the diagonal and serve with creamy horseradish.

Baked potatos

and salad.

We are having Meat loaf, mashed potatoes, string beans, salad, and hot rolls.

Lemon Ice Box Pie for dessert.

“Whats for dinner thread” is a great idea!

We had fried chicken – I’ve been craving that so much! And macaroni & cheese, and broccoli in lots and lots of butter!!! MMMMmmmm :slight_smile:

:oops: This is a special night, haviing company. Dinner is going to be stuffed quail, squash casserole with gravy and oven roasted asparagus in brown butter balsamic sauce. Slaw and home made onion bread. I donit usually cook this way but want to make a good impression. If you think you want to try this, let me know and I will post recipes. Tokeena