Wild Game & Outdoor Cookin'

My husband and I love to camp and cook outside even in the winter. It seems the grill or smoker is always going. We love to hunt so a lot of our meat supply is wild game. So here are some of the recipes I love the most for cooking wild game either in the oven or on the grill or smoker. Enjoy and please add your own favorite Wild recipes.

My favorite recipe:

SPANIKOPITA

1/2 lb. ground venison, crumbled
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
2 pkgs (10oz. each) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and WELL drained
8 oz Feta cheese with herbs, crumbled
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup snipped fresh parsley
1 Tablespoon dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup butter, melted
12 sheets phyllo dough

Heat oven to 350*F In a 12-inch skillet, cook venison over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Drain. Set venison aside on paper towel lined plate. Wipe out skillet.

In same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until onion is tender, stirring frequently. In large mixing bowl, combine onion, venison, spinach, feta, eggs, parsley, dill weed and pepper. Mix well. Set aside.

Brush bottom and sides of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with melted butter. Remove phyllo from package and cut to fit dish. (Keep phyllo covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out) Place 1 sheet of phyllo in bottom of dish. Brush with melted butter. Layer with a second sheet. brush with butter. Continue layering and brushing with 4 more sheets (6 sheets total) Spread spinach mixture evenly over phyllo. Layer and brush remaining 6 sheets of phyllo as before.

Cut spanikopita into 8 squares all the way through to the bottom. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.

Note: I have also made this at a campfire. Putting my grate to the side of the fire so as not to have direct fire on the pan. Turning it around after 20 minutes for the other side. And it came out fine. I put tin foil on the pan before cooking it that way.

The Best Grilled Potatoes:

Your Favorite Potato, washed but not peeled
Olive Oil
Kosher salt
Tin foil

Wash each potato. Lay a potato on a square of tin foil large enough to wrap around the potato. Brush each potato with olive oil to coat. Generously sprinkle each potato with kosher salt. Wrap potato with tin foil.
Place potatoes on grill away from direct heat and cook until done. Squeezing the potato will let you know if it is done.

These are awesome and really are not to salty.

Wild Beast & Vegetable Soup

1 lb. stew meat (Venison, Elk, Moose, Beef…etc)
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black-eyed peas, drained
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can diced tomatoes with chiles
1 can diced tomatoes
1 large can mushrooms
2 small cans or 1 large can beef broth
water

When chopping vegetables do not chop into small pieces, chopped them into bite size pieces.

If cooking indoors: Brown stew meat in a pressure cooker to brown. Once meat is browned cover add 1 cup of water and bring to pressure and pressure cook for 25 minutes. If cooking outside brown stew meat in a cast iron dutch oven, then cover with water and simmer over hot coals until meat is fork tender.
Once meat is tender add remaining ingredients plus enough water to make a pot full of soup and simmer until heated through. Serve with crackers or croutons.

VENISON MEATBALLS W/NOODLES

1 to 2 lbs ground Vension
1/4 cup milk or heavy cream
1/2 cup dry seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 egg
1 med. onion, chopped
1 teaspoon dried Parsley
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
Wide noodles

IF COOKING INSIDE: Preheat oven to 400*F. Spray baking dish with non-stick spray.

Mix all ingredients except for soup and noodles.

Quick way: Pour into baking dish and spread out. Using spatula or knife, cut horizontal and vertical lines so you have 1-2 inch squares. Bake in oven for 20 or 25 minutes.
Regular way: Form mixture in 1-2 inch meatballs and place in baking dish. Bake in oven for 20 to 25 minutes. You can turn them during baking to keep round.

Outside cooking: Heat cast iron skillet over hot coals. Add olive oil to pan. Add meatballs (may have to do more than one batch. Do not overfill pan.) Cook meatballs until done.

Cook noodles according to package directions.

In large saucepan, heat soup thoroughly. Add meatballs to soup and stir to coat.

Serve meatballs with soup over cooked noodles.

You are so welcome KitchenWitch. I will be adding more as soon as get my recipes in order.

Do you love and know how to cook? Even if you do not know how, I want to advise you on an excellent guide to baking potatoes.
How Long To Bake A Potato
The recipe is quite simple and you will be satisfied.