3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium to large onion, chopped into 1/4-inch dice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup water
12 fresh basil leaves, torn
1/16 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
2 generous tablespoons butter

Begin by trimming the sprouts from the stalk. Let them soak in a sink full of cold water about 10 minutes, then drain. You could pre-cook the sprouts a day ahead, and warm in the onion sauce to serve.

Have the water at a hard boil. Drop in sprouts and boil, uncovered 4 minutes, or until tender, but still somewhat firm. Drain immediately in a colander. Rinse with cold water to stop cooking.

Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, generous salt and pepper and cook until soft and beginning to color. Stir in the garlic and water. Cover, boil 2 minutes, uncover and cook off most excess liquid.

Stir in sprouts, cook over medium-high to heat through. At the last minute, stir in basil, butter and nutmeg. Once butter is just melted, serve them up.

These are good with dishes like roast chicken and baked seafood, and the sprouts are great with meat loaf.

B-man :wink:

Hey there K/W…

Up until a few years ago, I wouldn’t have touched Brussel Sprouts for love nor money! As I recall, I believe it was this recipe that I dared myself to try… instant conversion, so to speak! LOL

B-man :wink: