Chili $25,000.00 Grand Prize

Doc’s Secert Remedy won him $25,000.00 Chili Grand Prize
Dr. Edmond J. Pierczynski from Carson City, Nev.

3 lbs. cubed sirloin or london broil meat
4 T. oil
6 oz. bulk sausage (PORK)
1 can - 14 1/2 oz. - beef broth…divided
1 can - 8 oz. - tomato sauce
1 can - 6 oz. - spicy tomato juice
1 can - 12 oz. - beer - divided

11 T. chili powder . . . Yes eleven
1 T. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1 T. cumin
salt…to taste

Saute beef in oil.
Fry sausage until done; drain well

In chili pot add: beef, sausage and half the beef broth …(freeze other half for the next batch).

Bring to a slow boil.

Add: tomato sauce, spicy tomato juice, half the beer (drink the other half), 6 T. chili powder, all the garlic and onion powders and 1 tsp. of hot pepper sauce.

Simmer slowly 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.

Add cumin and remaining 5 T. chili powder and 1 tsp. hot pepper sauce.

Makes 6 to 8 servings for hungry interns.
hj :wink:

In the instructions it mentions adding onion powder but none is listed in the ingredients. Also, do you just use a regular old pork sausage?

Hi CTP:

I found the recipe located on-line. It does call for onion powder. I posted it as it was shown. I hope this helps.

BetK :wink:

Doc’s Secret Remedy Chili

1/4 cup cooking oil
3 lb beef, boneless sirloin,
1 london broil or tri-tip
1 steak, cubed
6 oz bulk pork sausage
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) beef broth
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 can (6 oz.) tomato cocktail
1 can or bottle (12 oz.) beer
11 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 salt to taste

Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook beef in oil, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown. Cook sausage in small skillet, stirring frequently, until no longer pink; drain. Stir pork, 1 cup of the beef broth, the tomato sauce, the tomato cocktail, 3/4 cup of the beer, 6 tablespoons of the chili powder, the onion powder, garlic powder and 1 teaspoon of the pepper sauce into beef.(At this point feel free to drink the remaining 6 oz. of beer. After all, cooking chili is hot work.) Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered about 1 1/2 hours, adding remaining beef broth for desired consistancy. Cook until beef is fork tender. Stir in rest of chili powder, pepper sauce and cumin. Simmer uncovered 30 minutes. Salt to taste.
FROM BETTY CROCKER INTERNATIONAL CHILI SOCIETY 1992 $25,000 WINNER.

Thank you, it makes more sense now. I love chili. I must have over 15 recipes. Some are real keepers probably like this one.

Hi CTP…

The original recipe was ammended by hj, and now reflects the onion powder as part of the ingredient list. I too am a chili fan, and this recipe is definitely a keeper.

B-man :wink: