Chili Rellenos

I’m looking for a good recipe on how to make Chili Rellenos. Would love it if someone replied…

Chili Rellenos happens to be one of my favorite mexican dishes. I worked in a mexican restaurant for 8 years, and have been enjoying mexican food on both sides of the border for over 20 years. I guess to define a “good” recipe, I’d really have to know what type you’ve had. Here is a little information on two popular types that I have had in restaurants.

First, you’ll need poblano chiles. I don’t know what they might be called in different parts of the country, but they are about the size of a green pepper (although slightly darker) and the shape of a banana pepper. I know you can get them canned (we got them that way at my restaurant) but I have yet to see them canned anywhere in grocery stores.

There are two different ways to cook them, deep fried and baked. I prefer the baked, as they are much easier, but the deep fried are good as well. If you are going to bake them you need to roast them first. If you are unfamiliar with this, you just set your gas grill on high, and cook the peppers (whole), turning occasionally, until they are almost black. Remove them from the grill and place them in a tupperware container with a lid, and leave them be for about 30 minutes. Then open the container and let the peppers cool another 10 minutes. You can now peel the outer skin off, leaving the soft, pliable, pepper “meat”.

Quantities are relative to how many you are making. The standard stuffing is an even mix of monterey jack and medium cheddar cheese (although I prefer to use pepper jack for the extra zing). You carefully cut the top out of the peppers, and remove the ribs and seeds, leaving the peppers whole. Stuff them with as much cheese as you like (I use a LOT of cheese). Using your favorite homemade or store bought enchilada sauce, place a little bit in the bottom of an oven proof dish. Place the chilis in the dish, and cover with enchilada sauce. Top with more cheddar cheese and bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and they are warmed through. Some recipes contain a meat filling with the cheese. You can use your favorite taco or burrito meat recipe, and fill the peppers with a mixture of 1/2 meat and 1/2 cheese. You can also dice up chicken fajita meat to do this as well.

As far as deep frying goes, you skip the roasting step. You cut a small slit towards the top of the pepper (about an inch and a half) and carefully scoop out the seeds and ribs, ensuring to leave the stem attached for battering and frying purposes. Proceed as above with the stuffing. You can use any type of batter you want, standard fish and chip batter using beer instead of water works fine. Preheat a deep fryer to 360 degrees. One at a time dip a stuffed chili in the batter, letting any excess drip off, and deep fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. You can then serve them as is, or top with enchilada sauce and bake as directed above. I hope this has been some help for you, and please let me know what you think of them if you decide to give them a try. Enjoy! :slight_smile:

Joe Slate

Killer Chiles Rellenos - Mexican Recipe

Mexican Food > Mexican Recipes

Chiles Rellenos: Chiles rellenos are made of Chile Poblano (Ancho) or Anaheim chiles, with skins removed, dipped in batter, stuffed with cheese or meat and covered with lightly spiced red sauce. Blistering fresh chiles is one of the tricks of the Mexican food Cooking.

Chiles Rellenos Recipe Courtesy of Ann Hazard

Recipe Ingredients:

6 Ancho, Pasilla or Anaheim Chiles - or - 27 oz. can Mild Whole Green Chiles
1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, thinly sliced
1/4 cup Flour
6 Raw eggs (separated)
1/2 cup Flour
2 cups salsa verde
2 cups Homestyle Mexican Salsa
1 cup Corn oil

Recipe Instructions:

1. Rinse the chilies.
  2. Preheat your oven to broil.
  3. Place the chilies in a 9 x 14 baking dish and place on the top shelf of your oven.
  4. Watch and listen closely. When the skins start to make popping sounds and to char and turn black in places, take the chilies out and flip them over. Be sure and use a potholder so you don’t burn your hands!
  5. When both sides are fairly evenly charred, remove them from the oven.
  6. Wrap each Chile in a moist paper towel or place in a sealed plastic bag to steam.
  7. After a few minutes, check them. Once the skin comes off easily, peel each Chile.
  8. Cut a slit almost the full length of each Chile. Make a small “t” across the top, by the stem. Pull out fibers and seeds (this is where the heat is) and replace with a slice of cheese. You can set these aside, for a few minutes or a few hours if you put them in the refrigerator.
  9. Whip the egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer, until stiff peaks have formed.
  10. Heat the oil in a skillet until a drop of water sizzles when dropped into the pan.
  11. Beat the egg yolks with one-tablespoon flour and salt. Mix the yolks into egg whites and stir until you have a thick paste.
  12. Roll the chilies in 1/4-cup flour and dip each one in the egg batter. Coat evenly. Fry, seam side down on both sides until golden brown. Place on paper towels to drain.
  13. Meanwhile, heat the salsa in a medium saucepan (either one or some of each). Place one or two Rellenos on each plate and pour salsa over them. Serve them immediately and brace yourself for major compliments!

Enjoy this delicious chilies rellenos Mexican recipe!

Preparation Time (min): 15

Thank you to all who have sent Chil Rellenos recipes to me… I will be making them soon and will let you know how they turn out… Thanks again to all who replied… :smiley: