Coffee Liqueur

I make my own Coffee Liqueur and here is the recipe which I would like to share with those who need it but find it’s too expensive or difficult to get in your local supermarkets.Adding 1-2 tbsp Coffee Liqueur to a glass of cold milk taste yummy.

Irene

Coffee Liqueur

Sugar Syrup:

1 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 cup of granulated sugar

2 cups of water

Put all the ingredients in a large sauce pan and bring it to a boil. Stirring it often. When it start boiling lower the heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Pour syrup into a glass container and let it cool to room temperature.

Liqueur

3 cups of sugar syrup

1/2 cup instant coffee

2 1/2 cups vodka

4 tsp vanilla essence

Stir into the sugar syrup 1/2 cup instant coffee until it dissolves.Pour into a screw top jar or bottle.Stir in 2 1/2 cup of vodka and 4 tsp of vanilla.Close jar and store in cool dark place for at least a week to mature- the longer , the better.

The Mexican Kahlua and Jamaican Tia Maria are probably the best known coffee liqueurs. Coffee is supposed to be among the easiest flavors to simulate.

2 cups water
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup dry instant coffee… Don’t use decaf it tastes funny.
1/2 chopped vanilla bean
1 1/2 cups vodka
caramel coloring (optional but makes it more real)

Boil water and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Turn off heas. Slowly add coffee and continue stirring. Let cool. Add vanilla bean to vodka. Combine cooled sugar syrup and coffee solution with vodka. Cover tightly and shake vigorously each day for 3 weeks… Strain and filter

*** Substitute rum for the vodka for simulated Tia Maria

Optional flavorings: 1 pinch cinnamon, cloves, orange peel, cardamom, mint…