Low-Fat Salads

These are all low-fat salads and they are very good. With it being so hot and humid I thought I would post some of my nice cool salads.

Mandarin Orange-Corn Slaw

SALAD:

3 cups three-colored coleslaw blend*

3 Tbsp. chopped green onions, reserving 1 green top for garnish

1 can (11-oz.) Green Giant Mexicorn, whole kernel corn

1 (11-oz.) Mandarin orange segments, drained reserving 6 to 8 segments for garnish

DRESSING:

1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise

2 tbsp. Splenda or Equal

1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar

1 Tbsp. lime juice

In a large bowl, mix salad ingredients except for onion top and reserved orange segments.

In a small bowl, mix dressing ingredients until blended. Add to the salad toss to coat refrigerate until ready to serve.

To make flower garnish, in reserved green onion top, cut lengthwise slits 2/3 of the way down, curve strips to resemble leaves and place on salad. Arrange the Mandarin orange segments on top of leaves to resemble a flower.

This is a real pretty salad.

*NOTE: if three-color coleslaw blend is not available, substitute 2 cups coleslaw blend and 1 cup shredded red cabbage.

Bacon, Broccoli and Cheese Toss

SALAD:

3 cups fresh small broccoli florets

1 2 oz. (1/2 cup) shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese

1/3 cup raisins

1/4 cup chopped red onion

1/3 cup real bacon pieces

DRESSING:

1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise

2 Tbsp. Splenda or Equal

2 tsp. lemon juice

In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients except bacon pieces.

I n a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients, mix well. Pour dressing over salad, toss to gently coat.

Just before serving, cook the bacon as per directions on the pkg. until crisp. Drain on paper towels, crumble. Stir bacon into salad.

Five-Layer Salad

1 (5-oz.) pkg. mixed salad greens

1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped

1/2 cup three-cheese ranch salad dressing

1/4 cooked real bacon pieces (from 2.5 oz pkg)

1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese

Layer all ingredients on a large platter and serve immediately.

Honey-Lime Fruit Salad

1/2 cup refrigerated coleslaw dressing

3 Tbsp. honey

1 tsp. grated lime peel

1-1/2 fresh lime juice

8 cups chunky cut fresh fruit salad from the deli

In a small mixing bowl, mix coleslaw dressing, honey, lime peel and lime juice until blended.

Just before serving, in a large bowl, gently mix fruit salad and dressing to coat.

NOTE: This salad is better if it sets in the refrigerator about 6 hours for the flavors to meld.

This salad is spicy and very crunchy and is good to have for a Mexican theme party or a cook-out and really good for a tailgate party as this recipe can be tripled in size or even larger. We have had it at a friends house and it was very nice.

Chili Taco Salad

1/2 cup Pace Thick and Chunky salsa

1/2 cup chili sauce

1 tsp. cumin

1 tsp. chili powder

1 lb. extra-lean (90%) ground beef

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 tsp. garlic salt

1 (11-oz.) can Green Giant mexicorn

1 (10-oz) pkg torn mixed salad greens

1 medium ripe tomato, chopped

1 cap small corn chips

In a small bowl, combine salsa, chili sauce, cumin and chili powder; mix well. Set aside.

In a 12-in. nonstick skillet, break up the ground beef, sprinkle with garlic salt, minced garlic. cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until beef and garlic are thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain.

Add corn and 3/4 cup of the salsa mixture, cook and stir 1 minute.

On individual serving plates, layer salad greens, beef mixture and tomato. Drizzle with some of the salsa mixture, sprinkle each serving with 1/4 cup corn chips. Drizzle with remaining salsa mixture

Hi there, can anyone please tell me what the difference is between Mexicorn and normal corn - does Mexicorn have a “bite” to it? We don’t get Mexicorn in South Africa! Thanks a lot and have a great day. Hugs, Ezz

Can someone provide a recipe for Jack In The Boxes Asian Sesame Dressing for their Asian Chicken Salad — thanks!

Can someone provide a recipe for Jack In The Boxes Asian Sesame Dressing for their Asian Chicken Salad — thanks!

Ezz,

Yes Mexicorn corn is like regular kernel canned corn, except it has bits of green and red bell peppers in it and it is not at all hot.

If you want a basic salad dressing try looking up a vinaigrette style dressing. Other then that just try using a low fat dressing. If your worried about even the low fat ones, walk for about 30mins every couple of days to keep your cardio up or you may join the gym.

Symptoms of Asthma, Symptoms of Asthma Directory, Health Directory

You could use vinegar and a little salt, or even sprinkle a little lemon juice on the salad. Both of these have no fat at all.

Fast and quick Weight Loss Tips, Arthritis Pain Relief

Well i’d actually cut down on the chillies ( it seems to be everywhere :), too spicy for me ) and guess it would be good to add a bit of cheese and lemon juice . Should try it out soon !