Whats for dinner tonight?

Hi lvdkeys!

I suppose it’s like a meatloaf, although we bake it in a flatter and wider ovenproof dish. The milk and egg mix form a thin “custard” layer on the meat.

No, it’s 3 table spoons fruit chutney! Sorry about that!! :oops:

Lovely talking to you again, thought you disappeared! xx

Thanks for the clarification. I am not going anywhere. I like this site too much to leave.

I edited the recipe. Thanks for pointing that out. How embarrassing!

i have no idea…let me think.

,…

still thinking !!!

Do you need a great idea for a dinner salad?
What do you all think about this one?

Kindest,
TayshaG
:stuck_out_tongue:

This is a little late, but I have a wonderful and easy squash dish. I use a hand slicer when preparing the squash and onions. Melt 1/2 stick margarine in a large skillet…may use less if cutting back on butter…slice, thinly, 1 or 2 yellow squash and 1 or 2 onions…depending on number you are cooking for. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute over medium heat until tender in the melted butter. Turn off, sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over the top…as much as desired…I use a lot. Put a lid on and let it melt. Delicious!

Thats how my Mom used to fix her squash,it was so good,seeing your recipe made me think of her,I think I am going to fix that this week. Curtis

Re: What’s for dinner tonight?

Quiche Me,

I like this yellow squash recipe of yours and zucchini is also very good prepared the same.

I’d like some good bread machine recipes that are tried and true. Thanks.

Tried to make fried potatoes without cooking them first: Was allright, but a bit weird.
Had a nice green salad with it.

Hi,
I might get some chips and cheese from the chippy. I was first thinking it was what I call egg in a window cut square out of the middle of a piece of bread, put butter on bread. Rice and fish pie containing low-so mountain bread instead of pastry, cold cooked rice, a cup of evaporated milk instead of cream.

ummmmmmmm… I know it is going to be something with ground beef because that is what I have thawed out.
I will probably make some doctored black eyed-peas. I usually add things like chopped garlic, jalapeno pepper, green onions-whatever I have on hand.
I probably just make hamburgers with some fresh homemade pico de gallo
and maybe treat the hubby to a baked potato since he isn’t suppose to eat many potatoes it is a treat for him.

OMG! Hubby said he didn’t want just plain old hamburgers even with the pico de gallo. So I made up a recipe and it is a really goooooood burger. Hubby is going bonkers over it!:lol: So here is what I did.

1 lb Hamburger
1 Tablespoon finely chopped Garlic
1 Tablespoon finely chopped Celery
1 Tablespoon finely chopped Cilantro
1 Small Portabello mushroom, finely chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons (heaping) Goya Sofrito sauce.(Tomato based sauce sold in the Mexican food section)
5 Tablespoons crumbled cheese (your favorite type)
1 egg

Mix well and form into 4 patties. Grill, bake, broil or fry. Do not over cook. Very moist.

Note: be sure to finely chopped all vegetables or your burgers may not hold together while cooking.

[FONT=“Arial Black”]Hubby wondered what I was going to call the recipe. I said I didn’t know but since we call our place here in the Ozarks “Crazy Woman Mountain” we decided on Crazy Woman Mountain Burgers.
[/FONT]

I got this really simple recipe the other day - it includes squash and other seasonal veg. Peel and slice into centimetre thick slices carrot, parsnip, celeriac, squash and any other root veg. Fry in 1/2 inch of olive oil til soft, season while frying with sea salt and black pepper. Serve on rocket leaves and grate some horseradish on the top. It’s healthy, seasonal and delicious!

Speaking of Squash, here’s a South African Recipe:

“Pampoenmoes”, South African Food!

Pumpkin is one of South Africa’s favorite vegetables. Most restaurants serve pumpkin and spinach as vegetable side dishes with main meals and all mothers buy it for their families. There are many ways in which you can serve the great varieties of pumpkin available like butternut squash, herbert squash, “boer” pumpkin or red pumpkin, to mention just a few.

Not all types of pumpkin are in season and therefor available all through the year, so you have to use the one that is in season at a certain time. The most common and quickest way to prepare pumpkin is to boil it in a little bit of water, season lightly with salt and add some cinnamon. Otherwise you can mix the pumpkin with flour, salt and egg and bake “pampoenkoekies” in a little bit of oil, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve warm.

Another favorite recipe from times gone by, a truly traditional South African recipe, is “pampoenmoes”. You can either bake this in the oven or boil it in a little bit of water in a saucepan. This is a recipe worth trying:

Ingredients:
8 slices of white bread
Butter
Apricot jam
2 cups of pumpkin (1 butternut squash should do. Slice very thinly)
Salt
Sugar
Cinnamon

Method:

1. Butter the bread on both sides and spread apricot jam on the side facing up. Place one layer in an oven proof glass dish, jam facing up.
  2. Cut the pumpkin thinly, season lightly with salt and place on top of the bread.
  3. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the pumpkin.
  4. Repeat this until all the pumpkin and bread is used up, finishing with a layer of pumpkin. Dot a few extra clots of butter on the top.
  5. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour in a pre-heated oven of 180°C

Serve the pumpkin hot with vegetables and maybe a lovely chicken dish, maybe a pie? This is a great dish to try and impress your friends with. It is very easy to make, so try it and see what happens!