What's for Dinner?

Tonight it is roast/baked stuffed rabbit, green beans, carrots and a simple lazyman blackberry cobbler.

Since we raise rabbits, it is usually on the menu once a week. My own stuffed rabbit recipe is just whatever stuffing I feel like making. This one came from a rabbit site online. I have made several of them and they are great. From: B.C Ministry of Agriculture and Food, Home Economics.

Roast Rabbit

Here is a nice stuffed rabbit recipe, great for Easter or Thanksgivings feast. The Oriental flavourings in the stuffing will go well with yams and garden vegetables. Preparation time, 45 minutes; Cooking time, 1.5 hours. Serves 4.

10 mL cooking oil 2 tsp
30 mL finely minced onion 2 tbsp
60 mL finely minced celery 1/4 cup
480 mL soft bread crumbs 2 cups
2 mL salt 1/2 tsp
1 mL pepper 1/4 tsp
1 mL ground dry ginger 1/4 tsp
10 mL soya sauce 2 tsp
60 mL chopped water chestnuts 1/4 cup
80 mL chicken broth or rabbit stock 1/3 cup
1 rabbit, about 1.5 kg 1
15 mL soft butter 1 tbsp
2 mL paprika 1/2 tsp
30 mL marmalade 2 tbsp
10 mL bottled steak sauce 2 tsp
Heat oil in a small skillet. Add onion and celery, sauté until soft. In a large bowl, mix onion, celery and next 7 ingredients. Spoon into cavity of rabbit, fasten with skewers. Blend butter and paprika, brush on surface of rabbit. Roast, covered, at 180°C (350°F) for 50 minutes after juices begin to sizzle. Mix marmalade and steak sauce, spoon over rabbit. Roast uncovered, 20 minutes longer.

I also make an extra stuffing and bake in a separate pan. Use the rabbit “drippings” if desired to make a gravy. Excellent and not hard to make.